PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Using Trace Element Supplements?

Beverly
06-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Now that I have the big three chemistry components, alk/Ca/Mg, under control in our three reefs, by regular testing and supplementation, I'm wondering if I need to be supplementing trace elements as well.

We do 15% water changes each week, along with a host of other tank maintenance. Have BBs in all tanks. No sumps, refugs or skimmers, but have non-invasive macroalgae to utilize nutrients as well as low bioloads in each tank.

I've been the kind of person to not add stuff to my tank that I cannot test for it, so that I do not overdose. But I'm beginning to think trace element supplementation may be a useful thing to do.

If you are supplementing trace elements with a commercial product, which products have you used and which of them do you prefer? Any other comments about trace element supplementation are welcome :smile:

Invigor
06-17-2005, 02:37 PM
i've had best results with consistant water changes. the odd time I add a little baking soda just to bump the alk a few points, seems to helps with the coraline growth and molting for my shrimps

Funky_Fish14
06-17-2005, 02:47 PM
If you are using RO water, it might be helpful, but if you are using tap-water I wouldnt worry about it. Im using Seachem's Reef Trace:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/additives.php?product_ID=sc-rtrc0500

It has iodide in it which is beneficial for softies and since im using RO water no trace elements are getting in to my water. I also use Reef Complete for Calcium/Strontium/Iodine. I rarely use my supplements, maybe only twice a month.

Chris

danny zubot
06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey Bev, in addition to adding the big three I also dose a small amount of strontium. I only dose what is recommended on the jar but not as often, so overdosing isn't an issue. In your case weekly water changes should be more than enough to maintain your trace levels though.

Here is a link to the Seachem site. Even if you don't use Seachem products, I found that the information they provide on their products helpful to understanding the uses for them.
http://www.seachem.com/products/reef.html

Beverly
06-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the links, Danny and Chris.

Here's Kent's supplements page for comparing the two company's products:

http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater.html

reeferaddict
06-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I too am of the opinion that if you can't test for it, don't add it... The solution of course is test kits... I picked up kits to measure Iodine, Magnesium and Strontium... Magnesium seems to be the easiest of the three to keep in check, always measuring within NSW ranges without anything other than water changes... (10% every week or so, I DO make sure change water is at 10 KH and 450 ppm Calcium using buffers, kalk, or Calcium Chloride, I'm now trying Kent's Osmo-Prep to see if this can be a one step process)... The shocker for me was Iodine... I have 200G total water volume and it takes 15 - 20 ml DAILY to keep these concentrations at NSW values. Strontium is around the same and is necessary for good coraline algae growth and especially if you have SPS... Since I have maintained these levels along with Ca/Alk my tank has done spectacularly well.... polyps are always fully open and responsive to food and light... softies slough as in nature, and all creatures are happy. Before I would say thing were just "surviving", and responding well for a short time after water changes until these elements were being used up. We know the key is stability, so I took the time, spent the money, determined my DAILY consumption and now dose DAILY... Corals that used to get cranky for weeks have now gone weeks without getting cranky... :mrgreen:

Beverly
06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
More articles, if you can believe it :eek: :

Iodine, Parts I and II:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/chem.htm

Strontium:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

Boron:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/chem.htm

Magnesium and Strontium in Limewater:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

Beverly
06-26-2005, 12:35 AM
reeferaddict,

What brand of test kits do you use for iodine and strontium, and what brand of iodine/iodide and strontium additives do you use?

Also, are you testing/supplementing molybdenum? Kent makes a strontium/molybdenum supplement. In your opinion, would this be a useful supplement instead of usin strontium alone?

TIA :smile:

Johnny Reefer
06-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Quoting Ronald Shimek, “Marine Invertebrates”, pg. 128.
“Aquarists often assume that all changes away from natural conditions are negative, but this may not necessarily be the case. Not every material in natural seawater is necessarily beneficial to all organisms, and some are toxic. Strontium has been shown to reduce calcium transport in coral tissues, and as such reduces the coral calcification rate. Hobbyists sometimes maintain that strontium additions produce denser coral skeletons, without realizing this simply means that coral growth is stunted. Basically the epithelium secretes skeletal material, but the animal’s growth is retarded and thus there is more calcium carbonate deposited per linear distance of skeleton than would occur under normal circumstances. ……………………………………………………………………...
………………………Strontium is probably one additive that could be left out of seawater mixes without any deleterious effects.”

And quoting John Tullock, “Natural Reef Aquariums” pg. 272-3.
“A test kit for strontium is commercially available, but many aquarists…………………...
…………..do not bother to test for this element. ……………………Strontium supplementation is controversial among experienced aquarium hobbyists, with some suggesting that it is unnecessary or even harmful.”

Sometimes doing less is doing more, I think, and easing up on trying to be precise with water chemistry could be doing more. IMHO.

Also, magnesium….of the 4 books that I have read during my reefkeeping infancy, Palletta’s The New Aquarium; Borneman’s Aquarium Corals; Tullock’s Natural Reef Aquariums; and Shimek’s Marine Invertebrates, the former and latter don’t bring up magnesium at all and the other two barely mention it. Heck, I don’t think Baensch even mentions it in his Marine Atlas #1 and that guy is a science junkie! The way I read the lack of magnesium knowledge passed on from these authors is …don’t worry about it! I think if one uses a product such as Seachem’s Reef Advantage Calcium, which maintains magnesium and… yes, strontium too, then your good to go without the added burden of stressing over yet another chemical element.
Adequate and consistent partial water changes will help maintain the chemistry also, from the new salt mixed in.
Maybe test for magnesium once every month or two to satisfy any curiosity.
Anyway, this is all IMHO.
:smile:

Cheers,

Beverly
06-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the strontium info. Didn't you say you were dosing strontium along with iodine?

I have Tullock's book, first published in 1997, almost 10 years ago now. Used to have all of Baench's books, but I'm thinking they are as old or older than Tullock's book. Don't know how accurate their information would be after all those years, especially since marine aquarium scientists continue learning more as time passes.

I test Mg whenever I test for alk and Ca, usually every 10 to 20 days for all three reefs. Depending on the tank, Mg is usually low compared to Ca which is often stable in some tanks. Alk is often low, as well. Corals look so much better while increasing Mg that I can't imagine ignoring Mg levels like I used to.

Because uptake of alk, Ca and Mg varies from tank to tank, I'm not will to dose an all in one supplement.

I dose kalk for daily top up water, and adjust alk, Ca (if necessary) and Mg after testing. Also do weekly water changes of 15%, siphon out detritus from our BB tanks as well as perform other routine maintenance.

Anyway, what brand of test kits do you use for iodine and strontium, and what brand of iodine/iodide and strontium additives do you use?

TIA :smile:

Doug
06-26-2005, 01:37 PM
As mentioned before, I found that running a reactor with Carib-Sea media, kept strontium, calcium and magnesium levels at proper levels. Besides that or the mixtures I now use, I also found the two parts to do the same. Both ESV,s B-Ionic and Two Little Fishies C-Balance. Although I have not used them much or measured results, I would expect the same from Seachem.

Now my take on trace elements, {which I dont consider the above, :smile: }. For years I used Two Little Fishies Combisan. There are many of us that have sworn by it, despite the research on RDO or where ever it was that said it was 99% water. As some of us posted there, then the remaining 1% muct be powerful. :lol:

As seen in my previous TOTM tank and from all the soft corals I rasied in the 90,s and sold, they were large and great looking. Was it partially because of the Combisan use, who knows? I always thought I could see a growth and colour difference when using it or not using it.

I figured besides what else was in there, the iron, {which several aquarists now use} and the iodide was helping the soft coral growth. I dont use it anymore. Maybe thats why my corals never look the same anymore. :lol:

Just my take, FWIW, as a point of discussion.

I have also used ESV Iodine. I found that when added and my levels came back up to the required .08ppm or whatever it was, a couple days later it was back to 0 ppm. Or at least thats what the test kit showed. Salifert or LaMotte, I cant remember.

There was a big hassle on RC regarding its use and the measure of it. :rolleyes: But what else is new. :lol:

I would guess besides all this, regular water changes would maintain these levels, {has anyone measured trace elements in new saltwater??}. But when the salt mix was much more expensive and/or in larger tanks, I found that not the best route.

Beverly
06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Here are some interesting threads from Dr. Ron's forum on iodine/iodine and strontium. Pretty much he says not to dose either:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278296&highlight=iodine

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314098&highlight=iodine

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=427389&highlight=iodine

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421686&highlight=iodine

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313542&highlight=strontium

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Liquid Reactor for Ca, Mg & St. Lugol's Solution [diluted] for Iodine. Baking Soda.

Johnny Reefer
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the strontium info. Didn't you say you were dosing strontium along with iodine?

No. I believe that was reeferaddict who said that. But I do dose both as well. Strontium is dosed inadvertently because it is in Seachem’s Reef Advantage Calcium. Iodide, (Seachem again), I have been dosing only once/week. My reef tank (135g) is still only 4 ½ months on and I have only 10 corals, 4 of which are LPS, and none are SPS.

May I also add a few more tidbits re: magnesium…A couple of interesting passages in Randy Holmes-Farley’s advancedaquarist magnesium article caught my attention.
He says, quote… “In many cases, there is so much magnesium in seawater that the organisms need to spend more effort pumping back out excess magnesium than they do trying to take it up.”
And this, quote… “Fortunately for reefkeepers, it (magnesium) is present in abundance in seawater. There is, in fact, a fairly high turnover of magnesium in reef aquaria with rapidly calcifying organisms. The primary reason that magnesium is not more of a daily concern to aquarists is that the reservoir of magnesium in seawater is very large. Magnesium might be compared to a large lake, with the lake level only slowly responding to changes in inputs from rivers and export via evaporation and the outlet. Consequently, maintenance of magnesium levels is not typically a rapidly developing problem. If using an appropriate salt mix, it may never become a problem for many aquarists.”
These two statements say, to me, that there is more than enough magnesium in saltwater to satisfy the corals uptake demands and that if the level of magnesium falls somewhat, it is no big deal. The corals will still have an adequate supply. So, to me, I am confident that the magnesium in Seachem’s Reef Advantage Calcium, that I use, should be adequate to keep magnesium levels from falling to critical levels. And I think it would have to be a pretty drastic drop, at that, and would likely occur over a long period if it were to occur at all.

As for testing, I currently do not test for magnesium, iodide or strontium. I plan to test for magnesium in the future but only to satisfy my own curiosity and even then I plan to test for magnesium only once every two months. The kit I will use will be a Salifert.
I am still pondering whether or not to test for iodide.
As for testing for strontium, I am not going to concern myself with this. I don’t see that strontium could get too high and from what I’ve read it is certainly not a concern if it gets too low.

As for trace elements… because my setup is still fairly new, I have been advised by my LFS to hold off on a trace element supplement till around October. The reason they gave was that I could raisie the level of amino acids in the tank too high if I did so now. So, I’m just not there yet on trace elements. (So much else to learn!) When I do supplement this, however, I plan to use Seachem’s Reef Plus once/week.

BTW, the latest edition of Tullock’s “Natural Reef Aquariums”, that I am aware of, is the 1997 edition revised and reprinted January 2001.

Cheers,

Doug
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Mark, I think you are correct in that Reef Advantage will maintain proper magnesium levels. If thats what you're using for calcium. I have not measured it when using it, but know someone that has.

To be honest I would not measure or worry about magnesium or strontium if I used it on a regular basis to maintain calcium along with water changes. Same goes if running a reactor with good media.

I would be wary of magnesium levels when using only kalk to maintain calcium levels.

Its also good to be cautious in the use of trace element additives in newer tanks. They can make algae go wild. Hmm, seems strange they do that when they are all water. :lol:

Beverly
06-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Other interesting quotes from RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY's Magnesium in Reef Aquaria http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Supplements for Magnesium in Marine Aquaria

...Whatever supplement you choose, I’d suggest targeting the natural seawater concentration: 1285 ppm. For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine. I would not suggest raising magnesium by more than 100 ppm per day. If you need to raise it by several hundred ppm, splitting the addition over several days will allow you to better home in on the target concentration, and might possibly allow the aquarium to deal with impurities that may come in with the supplement.

Effect of Magnesium on the Calcium/Alkalinity Balance in Aquaria

...In Captive Seawater Fishes there is an extensive discussion of the impact of magnesium on the calcium/carbonate system, including a set of data that indicates the magnitude of the impact that magnesium can have.25 In this experiment, batches of artificial seawater were made up with varying magnesium and carbonate levels. The scientists then measured how long it took for calcium carbonate to precipitate from each solution. Not surprisingly, the higher the carbonate was raised, the more rapid was the precipitation of calcium carbonate.

More interestingly, the magnesium levels were found to have a very large impact on the rate of precipitation. In batches with no magnesium, and at natural calcium and elevated carbonate levels, calcium carbonate was found to precipitate in minutes. With a natural seawater level of magnesium added to that mix, the precipitation was delayed to 13 to 20 hours. With double the natural magnesium concentration, the precipitation was delayed to 22 to 29 hours.

Even more strikingly, at a lower level of carbonate (closer to that of natural seawater and probably similar to that in many reef aquaria), precipitation was delayed from a few minutes in the absence of magnesium to 750 hours in the presence of natural levels of magnesium. Consequently, magnesium has a big impact on the rate of precipitation of calcium carbonate (a fact that has been confirmed by many researchers).

Conclusions

Magnesium is an important ion for reef aquarists. In addition to its many biological functions, it serves to prevent the excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate from both seawater and aquarium water. Since both calcium and alkalinity are very important to organisms that we keep, making sure that they are not lost to excessive precipitation is an important part of aquarium husbandry.

Quoting Ron Shimek answering someone's question (in bold) from this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278296&highlight=iodine
Quotes in red are as they are shown in Mr. Shimek's reply:

(not arguing) then why are they sold and recommended for reefs?

They are sold because, as Ben Franklin once observed, "A fool and his money are soon parted." People will buy a lot of things on the say-so of manufacturers.

First, iodine.

Iodine is a great disinfectant and preservative. In fact, Lugol's solution was developed (in the late 1800s) by Lugol, as way to preserve tissues. It works better than formaldehyde for many tissues. Some very small amounts of iodine are necessary for animals. However, in a single standard feeding of a tank (see my article in the March, 2002 issue of Reefkeeping Magazine, the average hobbyist adds enough iodine to a tank to raise the iodine level from 0 to NSW concentrations. The problem with iodine in tanks is not that it needs to be added, but rather how to remove the excess.

my clams are growing despite my additions of strotium and iodide.

"Despite" is the operative word here.

The following is a long answer, and for that I apologize, but there really is no short answer.

My reasons for considering Strontium a weak toxin are given below. There is no ambiguity for that conclusion. It is supported by several research papers all published in peer-reviewed professional journals. The only reference suggesting that strontium benefits corals is Swart’s 1980 paper, and it is this paper which is cited by Delbeek and Sprung as evidence that corals need strontium. Unfortunately, Delbeek and Sprung must have missed Swart’s 1981 "follow-up" article where he explained that his 1980 conclusions were incorrect and based on incomplete research - the “publish or perish” syndrome strikes again. Delbeek and Sprung have also missed all of the other references on strontium and corals.... Good literature researchers, these guys ain’t...

There is no specific book on the biochemistry or physiology of coral reef animals, and will not likely be, as most physiologists consider them as perfectly normal invertebrates, so why do something specific for them? Probably the most widely used text on the physiology of invertebrate animals is:

Prosser, C. L. 1991. Comparative Animal Physiology, 4th ed.. Environmental and metabolic animal physiology. Wiley-Liss, New York, 578 pp.

There are a lot of papers investigating the concentration of strontium in coral skeletons. Without exception, these papers were looking at the relative amount of strontium as an indicator of temperature. If this could be done, then paleontologists could use the Sr/Ca ratio in fossil corals to determine the temperature of ancient seas. Unfortunately, after a lot research, it has become evident that this ratio is simply too variable to be of much use.

Relatively few papers have looked at Strontium metabolism in corals. Only the one research paper, by Swart, published in 1980 has shown any beneficial attributes of strontium.

Swart’s 1980 study indicated that strontium supplementation enhanced skeletal formation. He added large amounts of several chemicals, including strontium and calcium, to sea water elevating their relative ionic concentrations significantly above those found in normal sea water. When he added enough strontium to raise the strontium concentrations by a factor of 10, from 7 ppm to 77 ppm, he found that this massive addition of strontium caused a significant increase in skeletal growth. Interestingly, he found an identical increase with the addition of calcium.

The results presented in Swart’s 1980 paper indicate that strontium stimulates the formation of coral skeletons. Unfortunately, such a conclusion would be in error. These data were published prematurely, and were from the initial phase of a longer study. In the final results, Swart(1981), noted that increases in three factors: total strontium concentrations, strontium/calcium ratios, and increased calcium concentrations, ALL caused a growth increase. Additionally, there was a concentration level (approximately 100 ppm above the local ”normal” sea water concentrations, or about 520 ppm) above which the increase of calcium ceased to cause an increase in growth.

Here are the references - I suggest you read them.

Swart, P. K. 1980. The effect of seawater chemistry on the growth rates of some scleractinian corals. In: R. Tardent and P. Tardent (Editors). Developmental and Cellular Biology of Coelenterates. Proceedings of the Fourth International Coelenterate Symposium. Interlaken. pp. 203-208.

Swart, P. K. 1981. The strontium, magnesium and sodium composition of recent scleractinian coral skeletons as standards for paleoenvironmental analysis. Palaeogeogrraphy, Paleoclimatololy, Paleoecology. 34:115-136.

These results indicated that there appeared to be an unutilized potential for skeletal formation in natural seawater in the area of his studies. If additional ions of a chemically suitable nature are present, either calcium or strontium, the coral will use them to form the skeleton. .

Swart’s work indicated that either calcium or strontium will cause increases in skeletal growth provided the total of both ions is less than or equal to about 100 ppm above normal, or a total of 520 ppm. It is important to note that in the results from this study, strontium did not stimulate additional skeletal formation, it simply substituted for ”missing” calcium ions. At the time, what was presumed to be necessary was simply an ion of the right size and shape. In effect, strontium was an acceptable substitute for an unrealized calcium potential and simply substituted in to the skeleton in place of the calcium.

That simple explanation, however, has subsequently been shown to be in error (see the last few paragraphs of this post).

An examination of the scientific literature subsequent to Swart’s work shows that there is NO other evidence for any beneficial effects of strontium by itself to the corals.

Swart also stated the skeleton formed in the solutions containing higher than normal concentrations of strontium show decreased calcification (Swart, 1981), which he thought was simply due to the substitution of strontium for calcium. In fact, there is a small, but growing body of evidence that indicates that strontium REDUCES calcification rates in corals (Chalker, 1981; Swart, 1981; Ip and Krishnaveni, 1991; Wright and Marshall, 1991).

Here are those references - again, please read them.

Chalker, B. E. 1981. Skeletogenesis in scleractinian corals: the transport and deposition of strontium and calcium. In: Handbook of Stable Strontium. S.C. Skoryna (Ed.) Plenum Press. New York, pp. 47 63.

Ip, Y. K. and P. Krishnaveni. 1991. Incorporation of strontium (90Sr2+) into the skeleton of the hermatypic coral Galaxea fascicularis. Journal of Experimental Zoology. 258:273-276.

Wright, O. P. and A. T. Marshall. 1991. Calcium transport across the isolated oral epithelium of scleractinian corals. Coral Reefs. 10:37-40.

Wright and Marshall (1991) showed that strontium significantly reduced the transport of calcium ions across coral epithelial tissues. All calcium used by corals for either metabolic processes or for calcification comes from within the animal’s tissues, not directly from the sea water surrounding it. So, it has to pass through the epithelium. Thus a reduction in calcium transport into the animal will directly reduce all of these processes, including calcification. The presence of significant amounts of strontium could significantly inhibit and alter all calcium requiring processes, such as muscle contraction, tissue differentiations, growth, and injury repair) by reducing the calcium uptake from the surrounding waters.

Additional calcification reduction may be due to the substitution of strontium for calcium in the enzymatic pathways necessary for calcification. Strontium (and other doubly charged positive ions such as magnesium, barium and zinc) will occasionally substitute for calcium in the chemical processes that a coral uses for skeletogenesis. The substitution of strontium for calcium by corals, mollusks, and fishes appears accidental (Sadovy and Severin, 1992). However, strontium is not a twin of calcium and reacts somewhat differently than calcium, and may significantly slow down the calcification process. Thus, if the conditions are otherwise good for the corals, the addition of strontium would inhibit calcification. However, the deposition of strontium in the coral skeleton may not be due to simple substitution, see below.

Any strontium found in the coral skeleton is tightly bound into that skeleton. Such binding means that the chemical is not available to be utilized by, or influence the animal. Many invertebrate animals deposit wastes or toxins in crystalline matrices as a way of detoxifying their environment (Kozloff, 1990). It is possible that those corals whose skeletons contain relatively large amounts of strontium are selectively depositing it in the skeletons. This would remove that strontium from the metabolic pathways, as materials that are deposited as crystals are unavailable for biologically mediated reactions. In this way, any deleterious aspects of strontium ions in solution would countered. This type of elimination of “problem chemicals” is fairly common.

(See almost any issue of the journal, Marine Pollution Bulletin, for references to such pathways).

There is also some work indicating that strontium is rapidly and efficiently removed from the coral polyp and deposited into the skeleton (Ip and Krishnaveni 1991). They found that strontium was deposited into the skeleton of the coral Galaxea fascicularis by a pathway that appeared to be different from that used by the coral to deposit calcium. This pathway appeared to function when the calcification pathway was not working. This could indicate that natural selection has favored the development of an additional metabolic pathway to remove strontium from the solutions bathing the coral. Such a pathway would ameliorate any toxic effects due to this chemical, and would facilitate across membrane transport of calcium and subsequent skeletal calcification.

Finally, more recent work, in this article
Greegor, R. B., N. E. Pingitore Jr and F. W. Lytle. 1997. Strontianite in coral skeletal aragonite. Science. 275:1452-1454, shows that strontium is not actually substituting for calcium in coral skeletons, but is actually being deposited as a different and distinct mineral.

The bottom line is this: Coral physiology is adapted to remove strontium from the interanl coral environment and place it into the skeleton (where it is insoluble and therefore harmless). Strontium interferes will all sorts of normal physiological responses (calcium is used for everything from the production of eggs and sperm to the relaxation of muscles - and strontium interferes with these repsonses). Corals have adapted to the strontium concentrations in sea water by developing specialized chemical reactions specifically to remove the strontium from their tissues.

By adding strontium to aquaria, hobbyists are simply adding a burden to their animals that in some cases can be enough to cause deleterious effects.

And they are poisoning their animals on the advice of manufacturers selling the poisons.... Sorta like listening to cigarette manufacturers telling you how good smoking is for you...

Anyhoo, I'm going to keep on testing and adjusting Mg at least every two weeks, trying to keep it at 1300-ish ppm. Am not going to supplement anything else after doing all that reading :eek:

Johnny Reefer
06-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Interesting thread Bev, and also cool to find out that R.Shimek is a member of RC, just like any other J. Doe might be.

Well after reading that, I've sctratched Delbeek & Sprung off my "Books To Buy" list.

I wish to continue using Reef Advantage Calcium so I suppose I will test for strontium after all. Every couple of months or so just to be statisfied that the levels do not go over NSW parameters.
Same for iodide. I think I will continue to use it, and test to make sure it too stays within NSW parameters. Don't want to test too much on some of these elements. As we all know, the better kits are pretty pricey and the longer one can make them last, the better, within reason of expiry. I think every couple of months would suffice for these elements.
Maybe it's not necessary, but I don't know...water testing can be an enjoyable part of the hobby. Call me crazy, :crazyeye: but I actually look forward to it.

Doug
06-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung are very knowing aquarists and have a lot of good information to share. If not for them, many of us would not have started keeping reef aquariums in the late 80,s or early 90.s. I would not discount them on one persons say so, although I have nothing but great respect for Doc. Ron, even though I dont agree with many of his beliefs. :smile:

Beverly
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
cool to find out that R.Shimek is a member of RC, just like any other J. Doe might be.

Anthony Calfo and Randy Holmes-Farley also have their own forums on RC.

Aquattro
06-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung are very knowing aquarists and have a lot of good information to share. If not for them, many of us would not have started keeping reef aquariums in the late 80,s or early 90.s. I would not discount them on one persons say so, although I have nothing but great respect for Doc. Ron, even though I dont agree with many of his beliefs. :smile:

Agreed, Doug. And their book is still one of my favorites.

Johnny Reefer
06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung are very knowing aquarists...... I would not discount them on one persons say so,...

Yes, I suppose you are right. Back on the list, ha ha! :lol:

danny zubot
06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Just thought I'd share that I have 3 leathers in my tank, Toadstool, yellow figi and some kind of finger leather. They hate it when I dose strontium, they close up for days. They love Ca+, Alk and Mg though.

Johnny Reefer
06-27-2005, 04:49 PM
They hate it when I dose strontium,....
So do you still dose strontium or have you stopped?

danny zubot
06-27-2005, 05:01 PM
This is all just a recent discovery for me, but looking back to when I dosed in the past, I recall observing the same effects. My tank levels have been very good since I set up the new tank at the begining of May. They haven't strayed too far off so when I adjust it is never more than a minor change. When I added a small amount of strontium to the water last week my toadstool closed up until yesterday. After reading some of the material in this thread I see no need to add strontium anymore.

I went out and bought a general trace element suppliment the other day, which contains small amounts of many elements, vitamins etc. This will be good enough Im sure.

StirCrazy
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Well after reading that, I've sctratched Delbeek & Sprung off my "Books To Buy" list.

I would buy all of Delbeek and Sprung be for I would buy any Shimek.

couple things, the good Dr. Ron got all his education in cold water environments, specializing in bugs. so his specialty is not in tropical conditions, this being said he is good at talking other peoples research and coming to conclusions which if you read any of his articles he acknowledges all the other work he uses. this is a common thing between scientists also. If you want to look at goof ups of any side you will find one, Except the Dr. Ron one was on deep sand beds, his words caused everyone to run out and speed tones of money they didn't need to put the wonderfully deep sand bed in the tank to solve all your problems, well low and behold a year later people are starting to have unexplainable algae problems, tank crashes, ect.. that get better when you remove the sand bed.. so he sucks back and starts saying that we as a enclosed environment can only support 1/100th of the variety and amount of life needed to make a sand bed work (you think that info might have been important initially :mrgreen: ) then there is the salt tests on baby urchins and how Bio Assy was the best, so people start switching and bam tanks are dieing. turns out bio assy paid him for doing the tests.

so if you are going to stop buying books over small differences in opinion you better do the research and see which opinions are honest mistakes and which could be market driven.

for the record I have 4 sprung books all aw some books, and Charles Delbeek is considered the mecca of salt water and this is even by people like fenner, Califo, ect..

Steve

Johnny Reefer
06-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung are very knowing aquarists...... I would not discount them on one persons say so,...

Yes, I suppose you are right. Back on the list, ha ha! :lol:

I would buy all of Delbeek and Sprung be for I would buy any Shimek.
.................................................. .................................................. .
so if you are going to stop buying books over small differences in opinion you better do the research and see which opinions are honest mistakes and which could be market driven.
.................................................. ..................................................

Steve

Ouch! Especially after someone else (Doug) had already prompted me to change my mind after I had made my ignorant comment.

Cheers,