PDA

View Full Version : Sixline in overflow!!!!!

hockey nut
06-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Yup, I guess I startled him somehow and he jumped into the overflow. He is still in there as we speak. I tried to get him out for hours tonight. Took off the micron bag just in case he can fit in the plumbing that drains into the sump.Turned off the return pump, tried to use a net which just won't fit with the pipes in the way. Then I plugged up the intake pipe and filled the overflow up to the top hoping he would jump 1 inch over the overflow into the tank but to no avail. Also tried to catch him near the top too.
Murphy's Law...... the one small opening in the overflow cover ....is the same small hole the fish always seem to find.

Anybody have any suggestions? Remember there is not very much room in those overflows.

Thanks

IslandReefer
06-17-2005, 10:03 AM
GOOD LUCK!, if your sixline is half as fast as mine.
The best suggestion, I have heard : is to use a large enough diameter hose, as not to hurt him, and suck or siphon him into a container or bucket.
My clown did the samething, how I don't know, luckily a few bends in my net allowed me access.
Goooooood Fishin!

bluetang
06-17-2005, 02:37 PM
That is exactly what happened to mine. I thought it had died and gone into the rocks. About a month later I was replacing a filter sock when I saw him in the bottom of the bag. It finally got to close to the durso and got sucked down into the bag in the sump. He was fat and healthy. I guess there was lots of pods for him to eat back there.

Snappy
06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
When I need to catch something in a hard to get to place I use a tool called mechanical fingers. It bends and has a set of retractable claws. It may give the fish a scar or two but can also save it's life. Just be careful.
Only an idea.

Tarolisol
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Haha good luck, My six line has lived in my overflow for 2 months.

OCDP
06-17-2005, 10:33 PM
haha poor fishes.... bad enough they are put in a glass box in the first place, then they get themselves stuck in an even smaller box :eek:

Delphinus
06-17-2005, 11:23 PM
One of my fairy wrasses frequently ends up in my overflow. I think she kinda likes it in there. What I do is, I have a valve on the overflow pipe. So I close the valve. Let the tank flood up so that the overflow has the same water level in the overflow as in the tank. Shut off my sump return. Usually she swims out on her own within a minute or so and I can get the system going again. If it takes longer or if I get impatient, I might try to coax her out with some flake. Failing that, usually I just need to show her the net, she knows what that is and hates it, so usually one look at the net is enough and she swims out. I haven't had to net her ... yet. But like I said, usually within a minute of flooding my overflow she's out on her own anyhow.