PDA

View Full Version : And Then There Were Two... BTA split

BMW Rider
06-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Well that happened quick :eek: I've had this BTA now for about 7 months or so, it was just starting to get to a nice size, my tomato clown was finally acting like she might really host in it (mostly she just plays around in it for a while then goes off to her usual hiding spot). All was normal and fine on Tuesday evening, then when I got home from work yesterday and came down to feed, there were two BTAs instead of one. The new one is smaller, the original (?) is about twice as large, or approximately 2/3 of the size it was before the split. They are both still attached to the same rock only a few inches apart and both seem happy and healthy. :biggrin:

Now what to do next. Do I leave them both to co-habitate? Will they get along and play nice if I just leave them? Or, should I encourage the little one to move to a smaller rock and sell it? I'll have to wait and see how my clown takes to this new development. I was hoping the BTA would grow a bit larger for her since she is a rather large mature tomato. She barely could fit into the BTA before this :rolleyes: Is there a way to keep them from splitting and just get larger, and just how large will they get normally?

I guess this is not the worst dilema to have to face in this hobby :lol: :lol:

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
They recognize each other as clones so they can live together in peace. They may not be interested in eating for a while, until their mouths are healed up. I'd just leave them alone for a while to do their thing, but you could probly sell the little one right away if you wanted. :cool:

BMW Rider
06-17-2005, 05:40 PM
It seems that the clown is again only mildly interested in the larger BTA. It plays in it occasionally, but hangs out in the rocks most of the time.

OCDP
06-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I have had BTA's split on me a few times in my 20g tank, with no ill effects. Best thing to do after a split, is leave the BTA completely alone, let it do it's thing. Wait at least a couple weeks before re-feeding.. they need to completely reform a new mouth. A small waterchange might be beneficial.

Other than that, let nature take it's course... oh yeah and BTW, I personally would not sell either anemone until completely healed, to prevent further stress. JMO.

Splitting is a pretty neat process though !

Chaloupa
06-19-2005, 04:09 AM
I had 2 BTA and now...I have 4...I am just hoping that they won't split too many more times as I am NOT interested in an "Anemone only" tank :eek: but all of mine have done very well...we got our 2 when our tank was barely cycled....and the water quality? POOR to say the least...plus we had pathetic lighting...these guys seem very easy to get going and going and going! Congrats! I had some false perc's in the tank back in the "poor quality" time and the anemones made it...the clowns didn't but they sure took to the anemones....very very cool!