PDA

View Full Version : Firefish Blister

Grandmaison
06-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Greetings, I hope you Canadians don't mind a USA citizen posting here. If you tell me to "Pi$$ Off", I'll understand!

I'm new to reefing and have a 72 gal bowfront that is about 6 months old now. I check my water quality weekly and have an aquastar monitor on it at all times...so I know my cycling and ORP and nitrate/nitrite/ammonia/phosphate/CA levels all too well. Water quality is perfect...or nearly so! Half of my rock was already totally live when I got it and I've got a DSB of at least 3" as well. Lots of corals from a local reef guru and a handful of fishes as well as the usual tank cleaning crew.

At any rate, tonight I discovered my purple firefish (she's so adorable with that green eyeshadow and magenta lipstick) has what appears to be some small white discoloration type blisters on her side. They seem to change shape slightly, almost as if something is under her skin. Is this a parasite or just some kind of biology taking shape in her? I've also noticed some whiteish discoloration on my six line wrasse's side. It's not white spots, so I'm not fearing ich, but they don't seem quite right tonight. They are all behaving totally normally, eating and swimming well and doing everything the way they've always been doing. I'll keep a close eye on her but I'm concerned.

I've got a large rose anenome as well (my Marron clown is in love with it) and I've also wondered if maybe she's been stung by it.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my firefish and wrasse???

Thanks so much from a reef newbie!!!!

Robert

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Welcome to Canreef Robert, where you from?

Sounds like it could be an anemone sting but without pics it's hard to say. Do the fish seem stressed, heavy breathing etc?

Grandmaison
06-16-2005, 05:26 PM
No, the fish do not seem stressed at all. Everyone seems happy, eating well, swimming well, respirating normally, etc.

I live in a northern California town where Korbel Champagne is made. My work town is Santa Rosa, home to "Deep Throat" Mark Feld and the late Charles Schultz.

Thanks for the welcome! I feel a little sheepish being here. However, I DO NOT REPRESENT OUR CURRENT FEDERAL ADMINISTRATION! ;)

Cheers,

Robert

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I DO NOT REPRESENT OUR CURRENT FEDERAL ADMINISTRATION! ;)

Well thats good to hear, I don't represent ours either. (damn liberals) :lol:

If the fish aren't stressed they will probably recover by themselves. It could have been a blunt injury or something. Have you ever fed with garlic? There's no scientific evidence to prove or diprove it, but "people" rave about how well it works for recovery and desease prevention.

christyf5
06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to Canreef!! :biggrin:

I'm not sure whats wrong with your fish but it sounds to me like perhaps it was the anemone. You can always soak your food in Kent Zoe or Zoecon for extra vitamins to speed healing and garlic as well. Even if you don't use these products, keep an eye on the fish and if it isn't clearing up in the next week or so then the anemone might not be the problem.

Christy :)

bulletsworld
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Robert! Welcome to Canreef!

Wow, so awesome that your from the states. WoOHOo!

Really hard to tell what might be happening with your fish. But if your able to get pictures for us we might be able to get a better idea to help you.

Happy Reefing! :mrgreen:

Lee

Grandmaison
06-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. You Canadians are all okay by me! Everything they've said about you down here just ain't true after all- but if you see Jimmy, Sally or Suzy tell 'em I said "hi" ok?!? ;)

I'll be checking in often as this site is really terrific too!

Cheers, eh?

Robert

medic_eva
06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
if you see Jimmy, Sally or Suzy tell 'em I said "hi" ok?!? ;)
Robert

suzy say's hi, and jimmy says you still owe him $20. send him $5USD and he'll be happy!
:lol:

welcome to the board, yank... i mean, grandmaison! hehe

eva

Beverly
06-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Robert,

Very cool to have an American on our modest board :cool: Would you mind filling in your location in your Profile section so we can all ooohhh and aahhh :biggrin:

As for your fish, how long have you had them? Add anything new lately - fish, corals, LR? I'm wondering the sores seem to move around that it might not be some kind of external parasite? Do you have pics?