PDA

View Full Version : Cities permit, importing fish from states???

reefsurfer
06-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Somebody is giving me a fish, the thing is this person is located in florida and Im not sure if it can be done with regards to cities permits and such. Does anybody have any experience with this proceidure??
Thanks in advance for any info.

rusty
06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Who do you contact for a CITIES permit?

blood_hound
06-16-2005, 12:54 AM
What kind of fish and how many fish are you getting. If its a fish that can be found locally and doesn't cost that much, i will just forget the fish from florida.

My uncle have done that before when he send me 5 arowana which cost us over $400 US for a permits from both side and that not include the cargo fare.

But if you really want to do this you need a permit from the US that guaranty that the livestock don't carry a disease and a permit from the local wildlife and fishery bureau "hope its the right name" so you can bring in a livestock from the US.And pay all taxes needed."This is the long legal way"

This is the short illegal way- Pack your fishes put them on a overnight shipment and pray that your fish will survive.

sick lid
06-16-2005, 01:33 AM
I've ordered fish from the states on 2 different occasions. No hassle either time. Just had to pay pst and gst. Did not have to pay duty because they were for myself and not a business. Did not need any permits or anything like that. It is a different story if you want to send fish into the states.

blood_hound
06-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Well buying from a store is alot different from having your own livestock exported from the states to Canada. Since this stores has their permit to start with.

that is why most Stores in the US wont sell livestock to Canada because they dont want the hassel of getting all the permits needed.

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-16-2005, 02:10 AM
i use to import fish and corals.
the way i remenber it is that you only need a cities permit only for importing live corals permit use to cost me near 450$ Canadian plus alot of paper work to fill.
another permit is needed for importing fish and permit has to fly with the shipment not as much headacke as cities and nothing to fill.Cost of that was near a 100$ i dont think its worth it for you.

saltcreep
06-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Let's start with...what are you trying to import?

Very few fish are listed under CITES. It may be pretty simple to import. A word of caution...trying to get product from Florida to Victoria (I assume) will be a big pain. Make sure the shipper really knows how to pack.

Cheers,

KN...CMA