PDA

View Full Version : CITIES, can I get a fish here from the states

reefsurfer
06-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Somebody wants to give me a fish and this person is located in florida. Im just wondering if anybody has any experience with importing fish with a cities permit. Can it be done?
Thanks for the information.

Funky_Fish14
06-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Depending on which appendix the animal is listed in affects which permits are needed. Google search CITES(not CITIES) and you should come up with the site. Somewhere on the site there is a spot where you can find the name of your animal and find the appendix it is listed under.

IMO its kind of pointless to get one fishunless its something expensive) from the states as CITES permits cost upwards of $50 US......my last one for some snakes was about $150 US. Also the shipping on that would end up about $150(my estimate). I've seen CITES costs go as high as $500 for stuff.

Also its a hassle as waits for cites permits right now is about 6 months.... and it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to a year but I wouldnt count on anything less than 4 months.

It short, yes it can be done. Is it worth it? IMO no.

Chris

Delphinus
06-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Fish of interest to us may not be listed on CITES. (Although I'm sure there are some.) Mostly it's corals and clams though. Not that it really changes how much hassle it probably is to import just a single specimen though!

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Have your contact in florida sell it to their LFS for a buck, then have your LFS ship it in at your cost. Will that work?

muck
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Have your contact in florida sell it to their LFS for a buck, then have your LFS ship it in at your cost. Will that work?
Sounds good in theory but... (call me a doubting Thomas if you want)
I really doubt that your LFS and his LFS would want to take the time to do that for one dollar. :razz:

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I guess if you had a buddy that worked there or something. It was worth a shot. :mrgreen: