PDA

View Full Version : inverts

adidas
06-15-2005, 11:45 PM
just got back from big als bought some awesome bright orange large hermits... just got an awesome invert shipment in... wish i had a tank to put the octopus or huge anemone hermits in :(http://www.geocities.com/uwkwaj/uw-misc/strigatus3.jpg

ungp
06-16-2005, 04:12 AM
how $ for the fella at Big Als

adidas
06-16-2005, 04:14 AM
how $ for the fella at Big Als they were like $2.50/each....

Murminator
06-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Are those halloween hermits? they sure look pretty cool wonder if they got any at Big Als here

Tarolisol
06-16-2005, 04:38 AM
I saw those there today, along with alot of other over priced stuff. They had some gorgeous bellus angels but im not going to pay 90 dollars for them when they only pay 30.

Willow
06-16-2005, 05:00 AM
where can you get a bellus for 30 bucks? they are pretty unusual 90 bucks doesn’t seem that out of line for one. pretty fish and reef safe.

http://www.themarinecenter.com/angelbellusfemale+.jpg

Tarolisol
06-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Im not saying you can buy them for 30 bucks im saying a 300 percent mark up is rediculus, you really need to read the whole post before you say stuff.

Willow
06-16-2005, 05:52 AM
i guess im not following you. i thought you were saying that you could buy one for 30 bucks somewhere else.

Johnny Reefer
06-16-2005, 06:32 AM
but im not going to pay 90 dollars for them when you only pay 30.

Maybe if you'd said they only pay 30, meaning Big Al's, it would'a made more sense. I thought you were talking about the customer paying 30, also, just like Willow thought.[/u][/i]

medic_eva
06-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Im not saying you can buy them for 30 bucks im saying a 300 percent mark up is rediculus, you really need to read the whole post before you say stuff.

i think you need to explain what you are saying better in your posts, because i understood what willow read. so don't be in a rush to tell people to read the whole post. perhaps you meant that big al's only pays 30$ for them when they receive them? who is "you" that pays $30 for them?

Johnny Reefer
06-16-2005, 06:38 AM

i think you need to explain what you are saying better in your posts, because i understood what willow read. so don't be in a rush to tell people to read the whole post. perhaps you meant that big al's only pays 30$ for them when they receive them? who is "you" that pays $30 for them?

Exactly! :smile:

Tarolisol
06-16-2005, 06:45 AM
Yep you are completly right, sorry for the comment willow, i guess i should learn to type better. :redface:

medic_eva
06-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Yep you are completly right, sorry for the comment willow, i guess i should learn to type better. :redface:

awwwwwwwww that's sweet. :smile:

meltdownaverted
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
tarolisol did clearly say they. I can't believe people get so worked up over something so insignificant.

Gringos
06-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Those crabs are cool, do they get larger than the common blue or red legged hermits. I have onlny seen them in literature. Are theey reef safe?

muck
06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
tarolisol did clearly say they. I can't believe people get so worked up over something so insignificant.
You read it after he edited his post to correct it going by the time you posted and the time Tarolisol edited his post. :rolleyes:

mr_alberta
06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Are those Bellus Angels seriously only $90? I'd go out and buy one right now!!

The only time I've ever seen them for sale locally or online is through Ocean Aquatics and they go for $189 each + shipping. So $90 isn't too bad...

meltdownaverted
06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
pretty sneeky

rickjames
06-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm not trying to argue whether 90$ is a ripoff or not, but you have to think about how much livestock dies during the shipment, gets sick, doesn't eat, etc., etc. before they have one healthy fish to sell. JMO.

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Are those Bellus Angels seriously only $90? I'd go out and buy one right now!!

The only time I've ever seen them for sale locally or online is through Ocean Aquatics and they go for $189 each + shipping. So $90 isn't too bad...

The problem is not what you will pay for it today, it's the fact that (sorry BA's) it will probly die tommorow. Unfortunatley those fish will never be at the store long enough to fully acclimate, and give us a real chance to see their worth. They will be snatched up quickly, good luck to all who buy them.

mr_alberta
06-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I know that BA doesn't always/usually have the healthiest fish, but oddly enough, every fish that I've personally gotten from them has done very well vs all of the fish I've gotten from the other store in town that "quarantines" their livestock.

Anyway, not plugging Big Al's or anything. Just saying that $90 is indeed a good price for these fish if it is indeed $90. I do hope that they all find good homes though as they are beautiful fish that aren't often found at your LFS.

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 03:15 PM
but oddly enough, every fish that I've personally gotten from them has done very well

Good for you, I know many people have good luck there, I guess I'm not one of them. I do get my inverts and salt there.

adidas
06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
i've had fairly good luck, except for one tang with ick. i don't find their prices that bad on somethings, but yes, somethings there are overpriced.

bulletsworld
06-16-2005, 07:39 PM
That's why I have found it is healthy to practice good quarantining techniques for all new additions for at least 30days (sucks I know but pays off) before it ever enters the main tank. That way it gives the new fish time to adjust to you, no stress & to not have to compete for food during this time. But also gives you time to take a look for any sign of disease that might show up and then you can treat as needed before an outbreak occurs. It also insures the safety of your tank mates in your main tank resulting in healthier, happier, long lived fish. :mrgreen:

Did I also forget to mention it saves you from future stress too? Nothing more stressful IMO, then a tank full of your favourite fish that are hanging on for their life from adding a new addition that infected everyone. :eek:

So if you practice good quarantining techniques, who cares where you buy it from. As long as you make smart choices of choosing one thats healthy, make sure its eating (Ask the LFS to show you) and has no torn fins, doesn't breath lethargic, is not pale in color, doesn't lay on bottom of tank its in or shows any sign of disease, than I say.....

GO FOR IT! :mrgreen:

Happy Reefing!

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 07:43 PM
ouch! :redface:

bulletsworld
06-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey no worries Danny. We all have done it. I know myself I have gone through it way too many times. Patience is the hardest thing in this hobby. I fight with it myself :confused:

:mrgreen: *HUGS*

monza
06-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Now that this thread has been highjacked...the Bellus Angel, I bought one and it's in the Q.T. right now and has already been eating. After researching the fish, B.A. is the cheapest price I saw on the internet.

Dave

adidas
06-16-2005, 11:23 PM
ya..thanks alot for hijacking my thread!! :razz:

Tarolisol
06-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Actully ive kinda changed my opinion on the price as well, i was thinking lamarks angel in the beggining. They look very healthy i may have to stop by tommorow after my weekly trip to golds.

monza
06-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Yea big difference in price between a Lamark. They're a good price and one of my favorite angels. I'm still waiting for a Wantanabei angel if anyone sees one let me know.

Dave

AJ_77
06-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Nice score, Dave.

Tarolisol
06-17-2005, 12:56 AM
If you wanted to order a male and female wanatabi www.reefraft.ca is suppose to be getting them in.

monza
06-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks Sean

Nate
06-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey dave, just wanted to say that I appreciate the kind comments. Hope you enjoy your new angel I will still work on those other angels for you. I meant to mention to you that I might be able to get my hands on some reasonably priced sunburst anthias. pm me if you are interested.

As for the angel, I thought that 85 bucks was a good deal but what do I know?

ANyways we are down to two bellus angels and we will be down to one when I get paid :biggrin:

Hope you can all stop by and take a look before they are all sold.
(shameless plug)

Nate
Big Als Calgary

And once again, if you guys have any questions about the fish in the store, or the quality of the fish we are recieving, please give me a call at the store at 640-0635, or email me at natew@aquariumservices.com