PDA

View Full Version : dieing xenia

reefnut
06-15-2005, 07:20 PM
well ive never really had luck with this stuff.always seems to stay the same and never grows.lately theyve been very shriveled up and kind of a grey purple color.last night i noticed a yellow mass that seems to be growing on the stem of the frags,both of them.it almost looks like something that is feeding off of them.i took my feeding prod and lightly scrape the growth off of one frag and it came off in one intact peice and floated straight up very quickly.my first thought was maybe some kind of nudis but when i scrape it off it seems to be almost like a scab on the coral.didnt move or even look like a living critter.one thing for sure is that its killing the corals.i have a couple other frags aswell but no signs of the infection on them.my second thought was that it was the corals equivalent to a scab and that it somehow got injured.anyways let me know if you guys have heard of this before and let me know what you think.i will go get batteries for my cam but i dont know if i can get a good pic cause they are kinda small.

Beverly
06-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Gads, we have xenia everywhere in our 120g under PC and NO lighting :eek: What kind of water flow do you have for your xenia?

muck
06-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Thats really odd. I finally managed to control the spread of my xenia.

I use to have 1 stalk multiply into 6 in less than a month. :eek:
Now I have 2 stalks that haven't split in over 3 months. I agree with Bev that the flow is the key to these corals. The higher the flow the more it wants to split. My 2 stalks are in a fairly low flow spot and are waving very gently in the current and pulsing away to their hearts content.

I hope you figure out what is wrong with your xenia. And yes a pic would really help us out.. :mrgreen:

rusty
06-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Wow I did not know you could kill the stuff