PDA

View Full Version : Oh no not another addiction

Acro
06-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share a couple pics. Here are two of my latest additions to the new reef. I think I may have found my new addiction, though this one may be more expensive then the sps one. I can see trouble already. :cool: My poor wife. :lol:

Anybody else out there getting into the Acanthastrea craze. If so please post some pics. I'd love to see other varieties. Bare with me on the camera work it's been awhile. :confused:

http://members.shaw.ca/jcross2/colorsreturn_016copy.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/jcross2/acans_004copy.jpg

christyf5
06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Absolutely gorgeous. Did you catch that one on the J&L new and noteworthy page??

OCDP
06-15-2005, 07:19 PM
wow those are nice... sorry, but what is the common name for this coral?

I haven't heard of the Acanthastrea craze yet heh.. would you like to give me a mini crash course on these corals?

Acro
06-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Christy, I seen the one on the jl site but these are from Hidden Reef. I was at the store helping unpack the order and when I saw the last one I fell in love. :cool: (Don't tell the wife.) But as you know the price tags aren't that friendly on these things so I hummed and ha'd over it for the next few days.

I ended up going to the island last weekend and on my way out I brought my camera to Hidden Reef and took a picture of the two pieces. On the ferry I think I looked at the pictures 4-5 times then a few more times through out the weekend. Then well I guess you can guess what I did when I got home. :smile: Told you I'm an addict.

Willow
06-15-2005, 07:24 PM
dang jamie, nice acan's. you will have to go blasto nuts as well i guess.

Acro
06-15-2005, 07:25 PM
OCDP, Thanks. I'm not sure if there is a common name or not. Perhaps someone else would know. They are often called Acan's for short. Do a search on a board like ReefCentral and you'll find some info on them. I must warn you be prepared for the price tag on these things.

Willow, Thanks I think the Blasto's might be the cheaper option. There are so many pretty colors in these types of corals I've been real impressed. I've never really looked into them until I just so happened to find a little more room in my tank.

bluetang
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Is this one? I just call it a brain.. :rolleyes:
Had it for about 6 years.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwCNAngUKL9NF0Orz0941EzsrGDv5U*VeAhHmh6lLJFmaK0iK WtrMgG9xBLwXvl0garI5gPrSiJazHr6KQfaNHl9k0BNpBPACbB RRSBG4j0/P5090018.JPG

Acro
06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Rob,

I am no expert but it appears as though yours is a Favia sp. From my understanding it's not an easy thing to id these things either. So I'm not gonna try. I'm sure someone out there will though. :cool:

danny zubot
06-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Good score Jamie, it will be a while before I can join the Acan addicts club. Pocket book won't allow it. I don't suppose they're fraggable? :mrgreen:

Acro
06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Danny Fraggable? You betcha

So if there's anybody out there with some. I'm intrested in trades. Shoot me an email.

Danny whats that in your avatar? Blasto?

Zerandise
06-15-2005, 09:06 PM
I have 5 diff acan lords in my tank at the moment. they are smallerfrags with only 3 to 8 heads per. Will post some pics when i return home in a few days.

Funky_Fish14
06-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I like the second acan, hehe. Yeah those are hard on the wallet, even blastos are pricey.
I have a couple blasto polyps...hopefully getting some more blasto soon and hopefully some acan.

Chris

bluetang
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jamie,
It used to be somewhat flat and I glued it on a cylindrical piece of LR and it grew down.
Nice peices btw
Rob

props
06-16-2005, 02:05 AM
dang dude those are nice =o)~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! so wheres the full tank shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sumpfinfishe
06-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Nice score Jamie!
I have never heard of this type of coral but it sure looks beautiful!
Can you scratch me down on your frag list :mrgreen:

Oh, how are the frag's doing?

And as Jesse mentioned, I too am waiting for that FULL TANK SHOT!!!
:razz: :biggrin:

Aquattro
06-16-2005, 03:00 AM

Rich, get back to my email, we can drive out Sunday for a real live view.

Hey Jamie, I'll trade you some some nice zoos!! :razz:

fastfish
06-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Jamie, they are so nice.

Here is mine:
Acanthastrea lord
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/rarecoral/acanlordday.jpg

Night time feeding -
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/rarecoral/acanlordnite1.jpg

Hot Pink-
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/rarecoral/acanlordhotpink.jpg

sumpfinfishe
06-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Brad, I'm in!
you have mail :biggrin:

props
06-16-2005, 04:25 AM

Rich, get back to my email, we can drive out Sunday for a real live view.

Hey Jamie, I'll trade you some some nice zoos!! :razz:

crappy i have to work this coming sundayyy
nutsssssssssssss

wow fatfish nice pic and coral! :eek:

Willow
06-16-2005, 05:09 AM
the acans are easy to fall in love with hey.

06-16-2005, 07:37 AM
wow...fastfish, you have lots of exotic corals!

butters88
06-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Awesome acans,....wow
Fastfish, PLEASE let me know if you ever frag those beauties or your superman danae :exclaim:

Acro
06-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Zerandise, looking forward to seeing them!!

Jesse, After doing a search on Acan's on this site it appears as though you have one as well. Any pics?
I havn't worked up enough nerve yet to share a full tank shot. Let me play with some close ups first. :) To be honest it needs to fill in some before it's really worthy of sharing.

Rich, Well if you like them get you pocket book out cause it's gonna cost ya. :lol: Yeah those frags you dropped off are doing good. Thanks!! You don't need a full tank shot aren't memories enough? :biggrin:

Brad, Uh I didn't realize it was Sunday you where thinking of stopping out. We'll have to talk more via email. Oh and let me think about the zoos for a minute..... ah no :smile:

Steven, Man your killing me with some of the things you've been collecting. We're gonna have to hook up again! Though this time it might be me pulling out the pocket book. :eek:

Acro
06-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Brad, Sorry for the confusion all is good for Sunday.

Jesse, we'll have to plan for another time then or you could always play sick on Sunday. :cool:

Funky_Fish14
06-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Fastfish, I love your acans! ......Once I have some $$$ I may be in contact with you, hehe.

Chris

props
06-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Jesse, After doing a search on Acan's on this site it appears as though you have one as well. Any pics? I havn't worked up enough nerve yet to share a full tank shot. Let me play with some close ups first. :) To be honest it needs to fill in some before it's really worthy of sharing.

yeah i got one in your tank i believe :biggrin:
hmm still not full eh?? want to take my big brown corals for your small ones? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
can't wait to see it man maybe sometime next month i'll take rich on a road trip to your place

Acro
06-20-2005, 02:42 AM
Hey Jess, Ah a funny guy eh? :biggrin:
Yeah the tanks definetely not as full as the 120. Though the longer you wait to visit the fuller it'll get. :cool: Just let me know when you plan to stop by so I can clean up a bit. :neutral:

Jim Barry
06-20-2005, 03:52 AM
Nice score Jamie...

I see some frags heading to Calgary :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim

Acro
06-20-2005, 04:32 AM
Hey Jim Thanks :cool: We'll have to see how fast these things grow first. :smile: I went to the flea market today and bought a cheap $20 dremel then hit revy for a $30 diamond cutting bit. The darn bit was more then the tool :eek: I have a couple trades in the works so I'll have to try out this fragging technique. This lps stuff is kind of new to me. :cool:

props
06-20-2005, 06:00 AM
since they're going for $40-50us/head are you going to offer installment plans for frags? :mrgreen:

Acro
06-20-2005, 06:15 AM
hmmm, how about a "fragcard" that has 29% intrest? Kinda like the BRICK but instead of the don't pay till 2007 you don't get the frag till then. :razz:

Acro
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey Jesse, I posted a couple pics here if your curiuos
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=5468563e11cddc96224ebe485a881657&postid=5178002#post5178002

props
06-23-2005, 12:37 AM
omg dude thats insane man!! :eek:
can't wait to see it live.. lol do you have your snorkling gear on that one shot?

sumpfinfishe
06-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Oh so you posted more pics on the other board eh!
I guess were all just chumps over here :razz: :mrgreen:

Acro
06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey Jesse, Yeah thats a mask and snorkel I'm wearing. I find it pretty handy and allows me to relax and do the things I need to do. Never mind the corals look pretty cool when your right in there with them. :cool:

Rich,To be honest that is were I spend most of my time so thats were I posted it. I really don't venture far from the sps forum so thats kinda my home.

wayner
06-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Jamie:

Are you using a DIY Calcium Reactor on that system?

Acro
06-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Wayne,

I'm using the old reactor right now which is a K2R with a second chamber added on. Marc and I'll be biulding new reactors for both his and my system once we find some free time. I was running short on time as I took a week off work to finish geting the tank up and running. AS well with the new system being enough to deal with I felt holding off and using what I new was a better option. Kind of funny to see a little 18" reactor running a 400 gal system :eek:

Invigor
06-24-2005, 06:17 PM
do you have your durso's separated by anything or are they all draining from the same overflow?

I was thinking about doing a double durso in one overflow, but after reading it sounds like a headache to get them both configured so they work evenly.

Thanks.

your whole back overflow makes me jealous. I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

Acro
06-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Invigor, Yeah all for durso are in the same overflow. I cut them at the same height. I know there not perfect as far as being the same height and I don't seem to have any issues. This is the only system I have expereince with regarding this design so I'm not sure I'd be much help. I know Marc is running a similiar design and I don't believe he has any issues either. I'd have to read the threads you've read to better understand the potential issue's.

The full lenght overflow has really made me happy as well. It really is a clean look. Very much like a public aquarium design. Also makes the 412gal real as the overflow is on the ouside not the inside.