PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a large tip anenome

geopod
06-14-2005, 02:58 AM
How do you get a Large tip anenome to foot itself?It has been in my tank fro almost 3 weeks and she wont foot herself anywhere.She just rolls over on her side and her face in the rocks.And her mouth is always open.My clowns are hosted in her already.I I always have to turn her over 2 times a day.I tried putting rocks all around her.But maybe too much water curent in there?i dont know.I am open for suggestions

george

mr_alberta
06-14-2005, 04:20 AM
If the anemone's mouth is always open and it isn't attatching to anything, it is a sign that the anemone is in bad health. The best thing you could probably do right now is to put it in a lower flow area and hopefully it will attatch on its own. However, it may already be at the point of no return if it is already at the point where it's foot won't attatch and its mouth is gaping.

blood_hound
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry are you sure that you have a large tip anemone because I never heard and saw a large tip anemone. I saw lots of different kinds of anemone but none of it is a large tip anemone :question: :question:

But if your talking about LTA (Long tentacle anemone) you will need a DSB for it to settle in .

OCDP
06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
hmm what kind of lights are you running? Are you sure your lighting is sufficient to keep that anemone alive and thriving?

Secondly, what are your water paramaters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.. etc...

And yeah, there isn't such thing as a "large tip anemone" it could be a bubble tip, long tentacle. etc... there is lots. Without a pic though we can't give you a definite ID .

geopod
06-15-2005, 04:37 AM
My params are good to go.I have a coral life 4Xpc bulbs about 300W of llitting.It is a long tentacle anenomeI bought it from AI for 80$ and 2 days before I bought it their invert tanks were going down as the snails they got in they put into all the invert tanks(which they were scooting around sayinf they put freshwater snails in saltwater tanks.)but they lost alot of snails that night. and the ammonia went through the roof.So maybe that is having a large factor in this whole ordeal.I am trying to keep this thing aliive but it seems to be just deterating onme day by day.I moved the power heads to stop the flow from that area.And she doesnt look good.I know AI wont do nothing for me.They will say it is my tank and my problem.I knew I shouldve waited to buy it.I dont know Unless someone knows a way I can save it...please feel free to call me and come check it out and see if I am doing anything wrong.I dont know what to do.everything else in my tanks are excellant

George 973-5055

Aquattro
06-15-2005, 05:21 AM
.I have a coral life 4Xpc bulbs about 300W of llitting.
George 973-5055

Pretty sure that ain't gonna cut it!

geopod
06-15-2005, 05:32 AM
That is what I was told that my lights were ok cause he asked me what I had for lighting and he knows the light I bought cause it was from them.And my other anemnome is doing great.I also had bulletsworld long tentacle in there for a few weeks and that thing was a monster.I had this one in my tank for less time.

blood_hound
06-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Do you have a deep sand bed? LTA need a DSB to live if you dont your LTA will just wonder around the tank and may die from stress.

Yeah I think your lighting will be ok but if you can upgrade to MH that will be great.

And another $80 for LTA don't you think you pay too much for your anemone. I bought mine for only $39.

bulletsworld
06-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey George,

You have to let it attach by itself. Why it hasn't yet & is still moving around is signs that its not happy. Could be many reasons I'm guessing. First off what’s key is finding out exactly what kind of anemone you have. Because most anemones need high lighting (MH's) although I have heard others that have kept certain species under pc, although not recommended. Mine that you held for me was a really healthy big sebae anenome. That lives under MH's, if left under pc's for to long it would not be so healthy. Over time, would not grow well, color would change really brown, tentacles would be thin & limp and would slowly waste away.

Most anemones like water conditions that must be kept up to be happy and they don't like nitrates. If you can find out the species then it can give better idea to what the requirements it specifically needs.

It is possible you bought a unhealthy anemone but without proper lighting it could not recover. Another thought is your anemone could be suffering light shock. If AI had it under stronger lighting, then going to lower pc lighting would cause stress to the anemone. You can usually see if it shrivels up, tentacles are shrivels, thin & limp. Also color is important as it tells you the state of health its in. Since I see so many now a days that have been bleached. Although if its light shock I would think the anemone would try to hide. When it moves around does it move to shady spots? Or is it looking for a shady spot. There foot likes to be covered away from light. Hence people asking if your sand bed is deep. If they dont hide there foot under a rock they will hide it in your sand.

Will your anemone eat at all? Is it tentacles sticky & grab the krill still?

When I come down to your place, remind me to take a look see.

Lee

geopod
06-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Well it is all shrivled up today so I thin kit is pretty much toast.The sand bed is 4-5 inches thick.I have lots of rocks around it to hoping it would have attached itself.It was feeding on shrimp.Yes I paid 80 for him he was a very big one.It was the largest in the tank.He seemed to be hiding in the corner behind the rock where there was no flow and shadows.I guess I wont be getting another one anytime soon.Thansk for all the input folks.

George

meltdownaverted
06-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Try making an eggcrate dome over it in the middle of the sand bed. These anemones can make pretty good recoveries. My magnifica got sucked into a turbelle a week ago, and now looks as good as it was before. Never trust the local fish store. I had I guy tell me my NO flourescents would be good enough for my blue carpet. Better to put it on hold and go home and research, but this is easier said than done as I'm setting up my other tank for a hogfish I shouldn't have bought.

danny zubot
06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
What other anemone's do you have in the tank. More often than not, they won't get along. Chemical warefar could be playing a part in the new anemone's acclimation.

bulletsworld
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
What other anemone's do you have in the tank. More often than not, they won't get along. Chemical warefar could be playing a part in the new anemone's acclimation.

OMG, GOOD POINT! :eek: Chemical warefare could be possible here. There are two other anemone's (sm sebae & a sm Rbta of mine) in there, especially when this new anemone is moving around. :eek:

Bad Rbta! Why did ya have to stick to George's rock. Why! :lol:

Good Point there Danny! :mrgreen: