PDA

View Full Version : Zoo toxin effect on the eye??

kuatto
06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
One of my fellow workers noticed one of my eyes was all "blood shot"looking and I thought back to ealier Sunday while fragging zoos how I was squirted in my left eye :frown: I had washed the eye well with fresh water and had no effects after that untill later today.My first thought was maybe pink eye,but not sure.There is no discomfort or itching,but will be going to see the medics on the base first thing tommorow just to see what they think.Does anyone no the name of the toxin that zoos have,just so I can mention it to them?
Guess I'll be wearing goggles from now on while fragging zoos :biggrin: along with all the other precations I already take.

Bob I
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Yes good plan. It is better not to get squirted in the eyes by our SW guests. I once was cutting a red mushroom from a rock when it squirted me in the eye. I washed my eye very carefully. So thoroughly that my eye became very irritated. I had to take the afternoon off work. :eek: Zoanthid toxin is far worse I have read. I vaguely recall it is Phytotoxin.

Salinity Now
06-14-2005, 04:49 AM
I think its actually called palytoxin. I'm no doctor but if that had gotten in your eye I bet it wouldn't just get red. Maybe a secondary infection?

danny zubot
06-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree, if you got zoo toxin in the eye it would be much worse than what you have. Perhaps it is red from residual bacteria from the salt water or an irritation from you rubbing it. Better safe thatn sorry though. Good luck!

Beverly
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Dang, Jim, you're not trying to poison yourself, too, are you :eek:

Let us know what the doc says.

christyf5
06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
That happened to me last year. My eye was just gross. It took about a week to subside. I managed to get the toxin in various cuts and hangnails on my fingers as well, and I had "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" hands for about 4 days :eek:

Suffice it to say, goggles/gloves/apron/full body gear now. I'm not going through that again.

Christy :)

kuatto
06-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Turns out it was just good old everyday case of "pink eye" :mrgreen: Told them about the corals and they said it would have reacted sooner if it was a toxin from the zoos.I have never had this before and sorta reminds me of welders flash :eek: scratchy watery,and just plain irritating :evil: They gave me medicated drops in hopes of it going away in a couple of days.

christyf5
06-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Pink eye = conjunctivitis = swelling of the conjunctiva (the thin clear membrane covering the eye). It can still be caused by getting zoo juice in your eye, perhaps they didn't release the toxin. I got "pink eye" from my tank several times last year. A fun side effect of having contact lenses and a reef tank :rolleyes: