PDA

View Full Version : clown fish syptoms?

atcguy
06-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Hello

I am new to this site and to the reef keeping world. I had a 108g long, fish only tank but now have made the jump. I have a 120 Gallon reef with dual 250 hqi halides and vho actinics. 130 ibs tyong rock. and have had it up and running for about 2 months since cycled. Everything looks great so far. Colt, Frogspawn, Pulsing Xenia, G. Star polyps, Orange spong, Yellow Gorgonian (which is doing amzing,, white polyps out even in the day!!) and finger leather. 3 yellow tangs and my cleanup crew,

I recently purchased a Magnifica (lg) anemone and 2 spawning tomato clowns. as I focal point of the tank!!

After about 1 week here is my situation . The larger female is very active and looks healthy other than on her sides it appears that her skin (or scales) are a bit flaky , Eating well , swimming around etc?? Any ideas ?

the other thing is at times the anemone lies flat with deflated tenticles and then later it looks fine ( I have heard that its just resting when they are deflated. I havnt had him eat anything yet ? thats my concern but like everything else in my tank It has taken patience for things to adjust? Any concern here or is my instinct correct? It doesnt even hold onto the krill that I feed, Once the flow is turned back on the food just floats away again? Frustrated as I want to see it eat. If lets say an anemone dies what happens over time? As mine still has bright yellow tips and hasnt moved ( firm grasp 1/2 way up my tank on a ledge in the tank)

I am more concerned about the clown at this point???

Thanks and I have to say this site is over flowing with knowledge , just hoping someone has seen the same thing in one of their clowns??
Thanks

Gerad

danny zubot
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

I'm not the resident anemone expert but Magnifica is a very difficult breed to care for even by advanced aquarists. Generally the experts will tell newbies to wait at least 6 months to a year before diving into anemone keeping. THe symptoms your anemone exhibits are signs of stress, it should want to stay inflated. If it needs to "rest" (deflated) then it is expending energy, perhaps adjusting to the move or searching for its niche. Quite often they won't eat when stressed which expains why the food won't stick, don't force it.

You should be able to tell if the anemone is dead or close to it is it begins to fall apart, either in chunks or almost a gelatinous way. Sometimes clownfish will tear and rip at it, almost like they're attempting to put it out of it's mysery.

Is the female breathing heavy? Does she have spots on her?

Good luck!

atcguy
06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Well I left some krill for him for about an hour, I came back and the magnifica was closed a bit with a black mucous like substance coming from its mouth?? Today he is open as ever with great yellow color again. The female clown is still active eats , but it appears I will have to do something as well this skin disease? isnt getting better? I still dont know what it is . The sides are flaky white and the yellow strip isnt very solid white. Fins look good but the gills see like they are bit off colored white?? they said they would spawn a few times a year. Could this have any relation to that,

Thanks

danny zubot
06-15-2005, 06:52 PM
How do the male and female interact with each other? That skin desease could be marine velvet. I'd do a google search to see if you can find some pics of the desease she has.

atcguy
06-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Well the anemone is all closed up today assuming it ate a piece of krill that was fed first thing. It still deflates its tenticles from time to time and lies flat but it looks healthy. maybe I just have to give it some more time. My actinics didnt come on the other day along with my fans, stupid timer!!! causing the heat to increase to 84 briefly. But this was enough I guess for the symptoms to dissappear . the clowns interact fine and the female looks as happy as ever. The white stripe still isnt 100 % but looks way better. temp normal again. I also got a cleaner wrasse that seems to be taking a liking to all my fish , 3 tangs and 2 tomato clowns. Thanks!!!