PDA

View Full Version : advice/suggestions for lighting/moving :)

cindyt
06-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi guys :)

Well,I did it-I got my super sexy 6 foot tank home-Yippee!Anyways,never done a big tank transfer like this,so a little unsure about the whole thing.So,any advice/suggestions/tips would be totally appreciated :)

Next...the tank is in the basement,directly on the cement floor.When I checked it with a level,both sides of the back(right and left)were up about a 1/4 inch as opposed to the front.I have a piece of plywood between the metal stand and tank itself,...will this be ok,or..?

Next....lighting...I was going to just switch my PC's over from my 4 foot,and just get another 24 inch..however,with the 2 tank braces,the lights with feet would be one inch too short.I was doing some searching and did find a 72 inch coralife PC,but after shipping etc,itd be like 450.00.Now,I know absolutely diddley squat about halides,but thinking I could probably get a halide set-up for close to same?.Any advice here,or any links to look?This is one I found,ya or na?Would get 2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=3979968494&rd=1

Sorry for the long post,just wanna make sure I get this right-so again,any and all advice more than welcome :)

StirCrazy
06-13-2005, 05:17 AM
I would recomend a layer of foam between the plywood and the tank just to be safe.

Steve

danny zubot
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Agreed, get the 1 inch foam from Rona, it will make your tank self leveling.

What are your plans for corals in the tank? Does it have a conopy?

cindyt
06-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Ok,just got the foam...1 inch :) No canopy right now,but thinking Id like to have my brother build me one,and stick some retrofit fixtures into it.Thinking 2 probably wont be enough hey?3 maybe?

And Danny,you just did a move right?Anything I should be watchful of,or anything youd have done differently?

StirCrazy
06-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Agreed, get the 1 inch foam from Rona, it will make your tank self leveling.

What are your plans for corals in the tank? Does it have a conopy?

I wouldn't go 1" to much chance for shifting. go to home depot or where ever and get the pink 1/2" styrafoam.

Steve

cindyt
06-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Damn. ...already got it under.The blue stuff,1 inch-thought it looked thick,lol :redface:

Sigh,well...wish me luck,when I tell my hubby he has to fight with it again,Im gonna be one dead chicken :eek:

StirCrazy
06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Damn. ...already got it under.The blue stuff,1 inch-thought it looked thick,lol :redface:

Sigh,well...wish me luck,when I tell my hubby he has to fight with it again,Im gonna be one dead chicken :eek:

it will probably be fine, make sure you have it a little large than the bottom of the tank (about a 1/4" extra all the way around) and watch it carefully when you are filling the tank.

Steve

shadowboy
06-14-2005, 06:27 AM
congradualtions on your tank ! how big is it? It's gonna be totally awesome to fill it with those punk ass fish you love! I think halide is the best option, Im starting to regret not getting them instead of PCs, in the end the price balances itself out, between changing bulbs and life span etc. etc.
Are you doing a sump? and is it a reef or fish only? BB or sandbed? you have to tell us all this information...or do you no know? :-)
Good luck..hows ure powder brown doin?
Tristan