PDA

View Full Version : What is a good brand of skimmer for a 80 gal?

geopod
06-12-2005, 02:00 AM
I have heard so many stories.What is a good brand name for a skimmer.One that is reliable and the company actually stands behind their product?

Troy F
06-13-2005, 03:08 PM
There are lots of good skimmers out there. There's not really a lot than go wrong with the better manufacturer's products. I'd be more concerned with chosing the right retailer to buy the chosen brand from. A good retailer will do wonders in getting help from the manufacturer if needed.

I've had experience with Precision Marine skimmers and they're well built and do a good job. If you look around on the board you'll notice many people like Euroreefs as well. There's a very similiar model to the Euroreef made by ASM which also receive good reviews.

Willow
06-13-2005, 03:43 PM
i don't run a skimmer but if i did this is probably what i spend my dough on a euroreef.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ER1131

that or an asm which is very similar design to the euroreef.

https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=PS-SMG-3

raquel
06-22-2005, 04:04 AM
I have had good reliable results with the Aqua C Remora Pro. Get the mag 3 or mag 5 pump.

It doesnt overflow and it has a great skimmer box to add on.

Raquel

dirtyreefer
06-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Raquel, so do you now prefer the Remora Pro over the Coralife skimmer? Your other post mentioned that the Coralife skimmer rocked, but at the end of the thread you mention that it does not have a spill protection.

raquel
06-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, I think the Aqua C Remora Pro is easier and safer to use (doesnt spill over) and does do a good job but I have to say that the Superskimmer does skim better. I have them both on the same tank and the Superskimmer which is for a 50 gal tank skims twice as much and much darker than my Remora Pro which is for a larger tank.

So... they both rock!

Can I sit on the fence?

Chad
06-22-2005, 07:00 PM
besides, you could always make your own collection cup extension so it does not spill over. Drill a hole in the side, have 2 L pop bottle or larger and use a 1/2" tubing or something and run it to the 2L pop bottle..

Simple fix for a apparently great skimmer.

dirtyreefer
06-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Rachel, thanks for the explanation. I do not have a sump either btw. I have the Remora Pro on my 44g, but I still don't think it's pulling out everything since I still am getting algae growing on my glass after a couple days. I have a barebottom tank with lots of flow, perform 10% weekly water changes, and use 0 TDS water. This leads me to believe that I am not exporting enough with my skimmer.

So if the Coralife does skim better, I would be willing to try it if I could make/get some sort of mod to help prevent overflowing or spilling. Does this mean that after each water change, you would need to raise it really high in order to prevent the extra wet skimmate from getting in? And then lower it once the skimmer settles down? Sounds like a bit of maintenance.

I would guess that a mod to put a drain hose from the collection cup would basically be wasting gallons of seawater everytime a waterchange was made as well?

rickjames
06-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I have heard so many stories.What is a good brand name for a skimmer.One that is reliable and the company actually stands behind their product?

Depends if you are looking for in-sump or hang on.

ASM for in-sump, best bang for you buck.

If you are looking for a hang on skimmer, I'm not sure what I could recommend. Some people like the Remora's, and some people hate them.

raquel
06-23-2005, 03:57 AM
The coralife superskimmer has a hole a the top of the collection cup so I do have a line running out of it to a large garbage can. but sometimes it just shoots out the hole and doesnt bother going down the line. Yep, I have to adjust the outflow every few days. And sometimes I come home and the thing is spraying out of the top.

Its a bit of a crap shoot.

HTH