PDA

View Full Version : New 150G system

rickjames
06-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, after a heck of a lot of work, my new 150 Gallon system is finally set up! :biggrin: Just to give you a little background on the system, it was Brad's setup (reef_raf) before mine. I modified the stand for 3 sided viewing and put the sump in the basement for cooling. I was planning on moving inhabitants slowly from my little 30 Gallon system, but after awaking to a cracked tank in the middle of the night on Wednesday :evil: almost everything was moved in about 3 hours, from 1:00 am to 4:00 am! Luckily the only loss was one clown goby :cry: .

The system is lit by 2X400W Radiums on advanced 430W HPS ballasts. I will be adding 2X4W 48" actinic bulbs, but that is still in progress. Circulation is provided by one 6100 Tunze stream, with plans to add an additonal stream once the corals grow out. The water overflows and drains about 13 feet into the 75G sump in the basement, with a little giant 5MD for the water return, running 750 GPH (measured) at the head. Skimming is provided by an ASM G4X skimmer, which I am now in love with :redface: ....

Anyways, enough of that, here are some pictures, you will have to excuse my poor picture taking skill :rolleyes:

Full shot of tank and stand:
http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/fullshottank.jpg

Some happy occupants along with the newly acquired Mr. Sohal:
http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/rightsideview.jpg

My other newly acquired fish, the niger trigger, aka batman:
http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/batman.jpg

The sump along with a beer for size reference:razz:
http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/sump.jpg

Full view of the skimmer and the stinky stuff coming out the top. I love this thing!

http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/skimmer.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/skimmer%20cup.jpg

And a shot from the old tank of the little guy lost in battle : :cry:
http://www3.telus.net/brennanc/goby.jpg

Aquattro
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Looks great! Watch that trigger though, mine was good for a long time, then he turned.

rickjames
06-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Looks great! Watch that trigger though, mine was good for a long time, then he turned.

Yeah I knew it would be a risk, was the wife's favourite though. Funny thing is that my cleaner shrimp gave him a cleaning yesterday. You could tell he was one nervous shrimp though....

Funky_Fish14
06-11-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL, thats great!....I wish you luck with the trigger in there!

Setup looks great! Cant wait to see it progress.

Chris

StirCrazy
06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I see you have the same door on the canopy that Brad did, is that a nostalga thing :mrgreen:

looks good though

Steve

rickjames
06-12-2005, 12:01 AM
I see you have the same door on the canopy that Brad did, is that a nostalga thing :mrgreen:

looks good though

Steve

No I'm making a door for it, just so many things to do and so little time :razz:

One cool thing about it though is that it looks like someone is arc welding through my living room window! :mrgreen:

Beverly
06-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Very nice rock layout and the BB :cool: Watch out for the yellow clown goby. Mine nipped at corals.

snailbuddy
06-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Great set up - will be watching for new posts! Love the ad for Kokane :lol:

Skimmerking
06-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Brennan Nice setup there buds. Have you thought about sticking a foam on the top of the return of the skimmer .

mike

christyf5
06-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Looks great. Nice rockwork too. :cool:

rickjames
06-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Very nice rock layout and the BB :cool: Watch out for the yellow clown goby. Mine nipped at corals.

These ones have a dead spot on the one coral that they constantly lay eggs on. Other then that, they ignore the rest of the corals.

Murminator
06-12-2005, 05:18 AM
WOW I really love that .....BEER :razz:

megatron_55
06-12-2005, 05:52 AM
DaAaNnGg!! . . . NoIcE dUdE!! . . .

StirCrazy
06-12-2005, 05:55 AM
No I'm making a door for it, just so many things to do and so little time :razz:

ya thats what Brad kept telling me, for two years :mrgreen:

Just teasin ya, well realy teasing Brad but you know hehe.

Steve

rickjames
06-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Brennan Nice setup there buds. Have you thought about sticking a foam on the top of the return of the skimmer .

mike

Never thought about that, do you mean for filtration? One thing I am thinking about now is some kind of strainer for the skimmer pump intake. I had a piece of rock from my other tank in there and my peppermint shrimp was sucked in to it! I found some pieces of it in the foam at the bottom of the skimmer return :redface:

ya thats what Brad kept telling me, for two years #mrgreen

Just teasin ya, well realy teasing Brad but you know hehe.

Steve

:lol: I've been told I'm not allowed to use cardboard as a screen under any circumstances! :mrgreen:

Bryan
06-14-2005, 01:45 AM
You may want to check your skimmer for a plug in the tiny little hole where the white tubing meet the gray plastic pece. When mine plugs up it sprays the water out much faster than it should, much like your pic shows. I actually drilled mine out a litttle more and it increase the amount of foam in the body.

rickjames
06-14-2005, 02:24 AM
You may want to check your skimmer for a plug in the tiny little hole where the white tubing meet the gray plastic pece. When mine plugs up it sprays the water out much faster than it should, much like your pic shows. I actually drilled mine out a litttle more and it increase the amount of foam in the body.

Thanks for the tip! The skimmer seems to have settled down now, and the water just flows straight down the tube. I think it was just going a little crazy as I had adjusted the outlet tube shortly before taking the picture.

Skimmerking
06-14-2005, 02:41 AM
NO Bren i mean that to take some of the bubbles away. if you have them .....

and it will cut down on the splash too.

shadowboy
06-14-2005, 04:13 AM
Its funny how everyone compares size of stuff to beer cans...just an observation, and i dont mean anything by it...;-)

rickjames
06-14-2005, 04:15 AM
Its funny how everyone compares size of stuff to beer cans...just an observation, and i dont mean anything by it...;-)

It's the universal measuring tape! :biggrin:

KarlK
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I think you should get back to the island and get some more work done so you can post some more pics. :lol:

BTW thanks for the lead on acro's tank setup :cool:

I just may have to head out there and see it. From the thread, it looks like he bought the 10" clam from hidden reef! I wondered who had bought that!

andestang
06-28-2005, 05:18 AM
Looks good :cool: Your lights make me think I should have gone with radiums instead of halides. That your your choice from the start ? I could never firmly decide :rolleyes:

Rahim101
07-06-2005, 05:43 AM
What are the dimensions of the tank???

vanreefer
07-08-2005, 02:19 AM
[/quote]Brennan Nice setup there buds. Have you thought about sticking a foam on the top of the return of the skimmer .

[quote="NaCL H20 REEFER"]NO Bren i mean that to take some of the bubbles away. if you have them .....

and it will cut down on the splash too.

I think the foam is in the correct position... the water flows down the tube into the sponge and if you have the water level about half way up the sponge it doesn't splash at all... I might be wrong but I am preetty sure that is were it is meant to be :cool:

monza
07-08-2005, 07:02 AM

I've had a few beers...that sump is looking really really good! :razz:

yifan917
07-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi,

just wondering if you have any protections (such as starboards) between the bottom glass and rocks? I am thinking of going BB too, looking for advices.

thank u :biggrin:

Beverly
07-10-2005, 01:25 PM
In our three BB tanks, we just have the the rock on the bottom of the glass.

rickjames
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I think you should get back to the island and get some more work done so you can post some more pics. #lol

:lol: I'll have you know that I have been working on it all weekend! My 40Gallon auto top off resevoir is now online!

Looks good :cool: Your lights make me think I should have gone with radiums instead of halides. That your your choice from the start ? I could never firmly decide :rolleyes:

I wasn't my choice from the start (BTW, Radiums are halides, just 20K colour) as I was going to go 10K XMs, but after looking at what these bulbs look like on an HQI ballast, I was sold on them.

What are the dimensions of the tank???

60"X24"X24"

Hi,

just wondering if you have any protections (such as starboards) between the bottom glass and rocks? I am thinking of going BB too, looking for advices.

thank u #biggrin

Nahh, to lazy to put any plastic down. I think that it may have helped with aquascaping (glass is slippery) but I'm not sure as I have never tried starboard. Personally I think it is a fad, I don't think any of the rock in my tank could fall fast enough through water to crack the bottom. Maybe if you have that 40lb piece of rock that you want right at the top of the pile :razz: , otherwise I wouldn't bother with the plastic, waste of money. In a while the bottom will look the same in boths situations, covered in coralline algae!

yifan917
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
I like the coral line algae plan :cool:

Majestic_Aquariums
07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
That looks great! Very bright too!
:biggrin: