PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tank Transfer

lil_clownfish13
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
So-- im wanting to move my 10g into a 20g tank, but im just wanting some suggestions or tips on how to go about doing it.

currently the 20g has 10g of water in it, with a powersweep 226 and its heated. I put 2 lbs of live rock in it, and its just sitting--

the 10 is stil running as usual.

Also: i rinsed my aragonite sand out (its very fine) but the tank is very cloudy still...any ideas on how to get rid of the silty cloudiness????

thanks again!!!

Tina

Richer
06-10-2005, 12:11 AM
The sand in your tank will settle in time... the only thing you can do now is wait... or run a micron filter if you have one. If the parameters between your two tanks are similar, I'm pretty sure you can just do a direct transfer... grab everything from the old tank and plop it into the new one. I would transfer rock first, corals, then fish. Don't transfer the sand from your old tank into the new one. You'll risk killing things off if you do that. You're better off drying that sand out, and readding it to your tank later on.

When I transfered the contents from my old tank to my new one, I did exactly that (except I had no sand). Nothing reacted badly to the move.

Good luck!

-Rich

mark
06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
When I added rinsed sand to mine, couldn't see into it at all and after about 12 hours could only see about 3". After alot of sh*t what have I done, was crystal clear after about 24hrs fr adding the sand. I kept the PH's and skimmer going.

For moving things over, if the LR was already cured, see no reason why you couldn't just bring the water and stuff from the 10g over if temp/ph match the 20g

medic_eva
06-10-2005, 01:24 AM
i just transfered mine from a 10 to a 20 not even a month ago. what i did was done all in 2 hours, and everything survived and is thriving. i placed all my stuff into buckets with water and got as much water out as a i could with a syphon. i then took a spatula and took out the sand. you have to try and make sure the sand that is on top stays mostly on top and vice versa. then i put in my new sand on top of my old sand. then i poured in all the buckets of water i made fresh for the tank. then once the heat got up there, had two heaters running on full, i started placing in my corals and rocks. after that, i put in the buckets i had of water from my old tank, and last i put in my fish and inverts. it was cloudy for about 2 hours, just from all the flow. but things look great now. IMO, using your old sand is ok. that's the advice i got from a few people. just make sure you don't mix it around alot, cuz that may cause a big ammonia spike that you don't want.

good luck!

eva