PDA

View Full Version : coral feeding techniques...

fishface
06-09-2005, 05:42 AM
can anyone gimme some pointers on feeding an open brain coral. tried feeding mysis shrimp tonight but it just wants to float away...so how do you guys/gals do it?

thanks for helpin,
darryl

hockey nut
06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
for spot feeding a turkey baster works well. If you realy want to target feed , cut the bottom of a 2L or 1L pop bottle. Make sure it's clean first and then gently place over corals with the cap off. Insert turkey baster part way in cap opening and feed. It keeps the food inside the pop bottle and you can control how much is fed etc. Also tongs work well too for larger animals.

HTH

fishface
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
thanks for the answer hockey nut, i ended up figuring it out (tongs) and waiting till it's tenticles came out so it could grap the food but the only concern now is that it got swarmed by hermits :eek: is that gonna bother or injure him?? should i be concerned about that?

darryl

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
I usually squirt some food juice onto the brain, wait a few minutes & then shoot some mysis onto the feeding tentacles. You'll probably have to make sure everything else is fed first so the hermits don't steal all the mysis from the brain.

Anthony

Chad
06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I find my brain sucks the food in so fast nothing has a chance to try and steal it.

Just put a strawberry basket type of container over the brain to keep the hermits out while it is eating.

fishface
06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
great ideas, thanks guys!