PDA

View Full Version : CMAS Going Out of Business

Maverick
06-09-2005, 02:43 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but Rick has decided to close down Canadian Marine Aquarium Supply . He is selling everything at 50% off, except for salt and and a few other items.

Just go to the site http://www.canadianmarineaquariumsupply.com .

I loaded up today .

Good luck with the sale Rick and I am one that will be sorry to see you go.

Brent

PS - I tried to post this under vendors for Rick but couldn't get access.

Jaws
06-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Sorry. I'm not really familiar with Canadian Marine. Can anyone else vouch for the legitimacy of the company and this deal that's on. No offence, just want to be safe. :smile:

CrazyFish
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Yes Jason, ITS TRUE, I can vouch for him. I spoke to Rick tonight, and everything must go. BTW Brent you getting commission, is there a site you havent posted on. lmao.

Willow
06-09-2005, 07:10 AM
i emailed him awhile back about a won digital heater and he quoted me something like 90 bucks :eek: gee wonder why hes going out of business.

DanG
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Does this apply to the lights he has on his website too?

blood_hound
06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
With those prices it's not a surprise that their closing

Bartman
06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
What city are they in? BTW, his light prices don't look too bad.

Edmonton Eskimo
06-09-2005, 11:59 PM
In my opinion those light prices are pretty high in comparison to a lot of online vendors.

blood_hound
06-10-2005, 12:32 AM
What city are they in? BTW, his light prices don't look too bad.

Are you kidding?! Those prices are too high just make a comparison on other sites even in your lfs.

check this site http://www.elights.com/horlig.html this is were I buy all of my MH lighting exept for the bulb even though the prices are in US$ its still pretty cheap.Just few mods and its perfect for SW aquarium.

EmilyB
06-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Remember that CMAS attempted to do something local for Regina and area reefers. Of course they could not compete pricewise with places like J&L and so obviously the market simply wasn't there to keep him going in the long term.

Willito
06-10-2005, 01:38 AM
They're probably going out of business because they do thing like false advertise..."Everything 50% off" doesn't mean that exactly. I inquired about Hamilton Reef Star setup and they said that it isn't included in the sale. Go figure.

exee
06-10-2005, 01:59 AM
I got a few supplies for my tank and they were all %50.

What I got is:
formula 1 fish food
kent algae scraper and replacement head
pinpoint Wireless Thermometer

was $55 including tax and shipping so not a bad deal i guess.

I tried to get PC replacement bulbs but they are out of stock of the 55watt stright pins

:sad:
________
herbalaire review (http://herbalairevaporizer.com)

Jaws
06-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Has anyone else purchased from here. I'm a little leary giving out my credit card number to an advertisement from a company I don't know.

Dafishguy
06-10-2005, 04:15 AM
i emailed him awhile back about a won digital heater and he quoted me something like 90 bucks :eek: gee wonder why hes going out of business.

Ummm, ya... that was for a Digital Won Titanium heater with the LED readout. They are $94.99. The standard Won's were $46.00 I think. Just so you know, my supplier, Saltwater Connection suggested I sell these heaters at $109.99 when I got them from him so my price at the time was more then fair.

To be honest, the reason I'm closing is because it is nearly impossible to change the J & L thinking in Canada. Everyone buys there and it is extremely difficult to change people once they are set in their ways. I feel sorry for others competing against them.

Anyway, now you have it right from the horses mouth.

Rick
Canadian Marine Aquarium Supply

Dafishguy
06-10-2005, 04:18 AM
They're probably going out of business because they do thing like false advertise..."Everything 50% off" doesn't mean that exactly. I inquired about Hamilton Reef Star setup and they said that it isn't included in the sale. Go figure.

Clearly stated on site, "SALE IS FOR IN STOCK ITEMS ONLY". Hamilton fixtures ARE NOT STOCKED so therefore are not part of the sale.

I'll tell ya, some people JUST CAN'T read.

DanG
06-10-2005, 04:34 AM

Clearly stated on site, "SALE IS FOR IN STOCK ITEMS ONLY". Hamilton fixtures ARE NOT STOCKED so therefore are not part of the sale.

I couldn't find anywhere on your site that shows what is in stock and what is not. Do you have any 36" MH setups in stock?

Maverick
06-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Its the real deal folks. Dropped $300 there last night . Hellava deal at 50% if you ask me .

And no, I don't get any commision . Just helping out a fellow reefer with a ton of expierience that helped me get started BEFORE he went into business .

It your loss I guess.

Brent

Dafishguy
06-10-2005, 12:56 PM

I couldn't find anywhere on your site that shows what is in stock and what is not. Do you have any 36" MH setups in stock?

Pretty much everything listed on the site is in stock with the exception of the Hamilton fixtures. And seeing that my prices on Hamilton are SO FAR out of whack, I guess I'll remove them too. I really baffles me why people will buy None ULC listed fixtures and take the chance of burning down their homes just to save a few bucks. Oh well.

I am trying to disable items that sell out as soon as I can but with the way things have been selling I'm sure there are more than one item listed that is not in stock. The best advise I can give is place the order. I will supply what I can and just not send the rest. And of course, You will be charged only for what ships.

edited.... by Titus

Invigor
06-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Its the real deal folks. Dropped $300 there last night . Hellava deal at 50% if you ask me .

And no, I don't get any commision . Just helping out a fellow reefer with a ton of expierience that helped me get started BEFORE he went into business .

It your loss I guess.

Brent

Ditto, Rick is a great guy. Always more than willing to help out. I bought a dolphin ampmaster from him last night, and I've been dreaming of how to plumb the system in my new house since! and salt? WOW! not many places will give away salt for 49.99.

*notice to canreefers*
regina is not like calgary or vancouver. we've never had a store to carry what CMAS did.

bailey7424
06-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Yes, this is a real company and it is run by a very reliable and extremely knowledgeable person.

I purchased $860 worth today for $430.

Skimmerking
06-12-2005, 03:19 AM
I can't believe that person have the guts to bash a person that is trying to help out other people in the hobby. Come on reefer's this guy is trying to make a hobby that he loves and carry it over to other people to help out, so that they can have the same results.

So if you are going to bash a this person just because he has his prices higher then his competitor. Did you ever think maybe he's trying to get his foot in the door. Some people starting out have to raise their prices to make a few bucks to get more stock in. I'm sure J&L didnt start out with low prices and dont forget that J&L lives right by the BIG old Pond. So the prices and shipping are pretty much low. :rolleyes:

But i guess you reefers who are bashing him or making up a stink about deals or what ever it is. Already knew that right.

mike

Dafishguy
06-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

First, I want to THANK all of those with the kind words. I did my best to make a go of it but just could not overcome the LOCK that J & L have on the e-trade market in Canada. Even people living in Regina purchased regularly from J & L even though they knew I was there and even though my prices for the most part were the same or even in some cases LOWER than J & L. Seeing all those local orders going to J & L was extremly disheartening to say the least and I just decided I had had enough of it. (If you can't beat them, Join them right?)

Concerning the sale, my inventory is dwindling rapidly. At 50% off, alot of people are getting top quality reef & marine supplies at unheard of prices. For those of you unable to overcome the J & L mentality or just unable to deal with me for whatever reason, you are missing out on INCREDIBLE SAVINGS. It's your loss, this stuff will sell, just not to you. I have to be careful here, if I appear to be trying to solicit business on this site, I get edited or the other vendors will complain, even though I doubt CMAS will last out the month of June. Things are selling THAT fast.

Take care all and GOOD LUCK pursuing your hobby. I truly hope you have as much if not more success with it than I have enjoyed these past 30 years.

Rick

mr_alberta
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the website? Or is the store officially closed now?

Dafishguy
06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the website? Or is the store officially closed now?

I am checking into the problems now. The site is still open but is offline for some reason. I hope to have these difficulties repaired soon. Please bear with me.

Thanks

Rick

Dafishguy
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi folks,

Site is back up and fully operational. It seems we had downstream server problems that needed a third party's involvment to get fixed.

Rick

SJSobczyk
07-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Is the checkout not working for anyone else? Wanted to place an order but i keep on getting an error message.

Thanks
Steve

bluetang
07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Site is down and has been for a couple weeks.

SJSobczyk
07-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Ahhh because i see it says until July 31st. Guess not!

Steve

digital canuck
07-28-2005, 01:14 AM
The site is having problems with their hosting (in particular the SSL certificate for secure transactions).

CMAS is still having their sale, but their service provider is looking into the problem.

Please feel free to contact CMAS's owner Rick Johnston to enquire about purchasing products.

Rick

gordypoo
07-30-2005, 02:58 AM
I'd put my two cents worth in but...............why bother its just funny to read these posts.

gordypoo
07-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Like i was saying....................LOL