PDA

View Full Version : Move to a new 10g

outtafocus
06-09-2005, 02:22 AM
I hope this is in the right forum.

I will be moving all the liverock and corals from an existing 10g in my livingroom, to a new and painted 10g in my bedroom.
My question is, what is the best method of doing this which will cause the least stress, to both me and the live stock?

1: Add some existing live rock to newly mixed salt water, allow to run for a few weeks with a power head and heater, check water params are as close as possible then move everything over.

2: Siphon out half of the water from original tank, place in new tank, move all of the live rock corals and possibly the existing sand (yes Beverly I still havent decided on BB or not yet, leaning towards BB though) then top off with remaining existing water.

I am hoping to cause as little of an ammonia spike as possible.

Comments??

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/2005_0601Image0007.jpg

Beverly
06-09-2005, 02:34 AM
If you are going with no sandbed, then just move some of the existing water to the new tank, move the rock and corals, then the rest of the water and top up to the water level to where you want it. Can be done in a few hours.

Moving the sandbed is where you're going to get a cloudy tank for a few days, and the process should start with moving the sandbed, imo. As you stir up the sandbed, you will get cloudy water from detritus and particulate sand particles, and possibly toxic gases from anaerobic bacteria from your sandbed. You will need heated, aerated containers to hold livestock during the sandbed move. You might also want to clean the sandbed by rinsing it in saltwater, or start over with a new sandbed.

outtafocus
06-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Another good point in the BB decision.
I doubt it would take even an hour.

Even if I decide to go sand bed, I could always start off bare bottom and add sand some time in the future if I do not like the BB.

Thanks Beverly, I am starting BB in both tanks, I doubt I will ever go back, but at least adding a sand bed in the future is a hell of alot easier than removing one. :eek:

Beverly
06-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Take your time aquascaping the tank. And post pics when you're done :biggrin:

danny zubot
06-09-2005, 02:24 PM
My fool proof 10 gallon tank moving method:

1. Open bedroom door
2. Pick up tank
3. Walk over to the bedroom
4. Put down tank.

:mrgreen:

albert_dao
06-09-2005, 04:24 PM

1. Open bedroom door
2. Pick up tank
4. Put down tank.

That might also be a foolproof way of causing a big mess, haha!

blood_hound
06-09-2005, 10:44 PM

1. Open bedroom door
2. Pick up tank
4. Put down tank.

haha tried that before I end up with 5 stiches in my arm.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

outtafocus
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I finally took the plunge and moved everyone to the new 10g tank in my bedroom.

Went very smooth, I think I am happy with the aquascaping. I only have 3 large pieces of live rock in there right now, but I will be adding a few small pieces which are in my 25g cube.
Once everyone is settled in and the stress is wearing off, I will take some pics. I want to allow everything to relax with the lights off for now.

outtafocus
06-13-2005, 11:04 PM
heres what the new 10g looks like.
[/img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/0506130001.jpg

What do you think? I know it looks kinda sparse. Recomendations??

muck
06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
What do you think?

I think that avatar looks familiar... :confused:

outtafocus
06-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Did someone else use beaker??

Beverly
06-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Looks good :cool: Give the corals some time to grow up and it'll be fine.