PDA

View Full Version : Dying clam?

whaase
06-08-2005, 01:44 AM
My clam seemed to be doing fine last night, I looked at it today and it looks funny. I did notice my Coral Bandid shrimp standing on it last night... Can they do harm to it?

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/clam50.jpg

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/clam60.jpg

Walter

New camera by the way! :biggrin:

christyf5
06-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Great pics :cool:

Has the siphon always had that green tinge to it?? It kind of looks like algae to me. The second pic looks sort of strange with that funny browny grey color below the siphon. Can you get a clear macro shot of it??

Christy :)

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
No, it's new, even looking at it close up I can't tell what it is... I'll try for a better picture.

Walter

Great pics :cool:

Has the siphon always had that green tinge to it?? It kind of looks like algae to me. The second pic looks sort of strange with that funny browny grey color below the siphon. Can you get a clear macro shot of it??

christyf5
06-08-2005, 02:03 AM
It could just be part of the coloration. It might just be crabby if its new and not want to open yet?? I'm not sure, I'll wait for the new pic :wink:

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Here are a few more. I also noticed that it can't seem to close either... it tries though.

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/clam65.jpg
http://aquahome.no-ip.com/clam70.jpg
http://aquahome.no-ip.com/clam75.jpg

Sorry for the big sizes...

Walter

Chad
06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
hows the temp of your tank been lately? Mine clam got pretty PO'D when the tank kept creeping into the 84's - 85's. Once I brought it back down to normal 79 its been happy.. took about a week to get back to its usual self though.

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
It's been in the tank several months, it has never looked like that.The weather in Calgary has been cold latley (lots of rain :biggrin: ) Temp in the tank has been stable..

Walter

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure what the proper word for the "hole" they have inside them is, but it looks like it has something comming out of it or stuck in it... kinda fleshy looking.

Walter

christyf5
06-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Its the circled part that looks kind of funny to me. Kind of webby looking.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/waltersclam.jpg

Walter, for fear of sounding rude, is that the large hole or the small one?? You know how one end of the clam has a small hole that protrudes upwards like a tube (I think thats the exhalant siphon), and the other has a larger oval shaped hole (inhalant siphon) where you can see the clam bits inside??

I'm thinking its sucked up that green thing. Or is the green thing part of the tissue??

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:40 AM
It is the larger hole. Looking at it again, it almost looks like the bottom of a snail (suction part). Is it possible for a snail to get in or get grabbed? How in the world can I try and remove it without getting my fingers pinched? :smile:

Walter

christyf5
06-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Use forceps and go in from the side, so you don't create a shadow over the clam. You've gotta be quick. Pretend you're playing that Operation game that has the buzzer if you touch the sides :wink:

Can you get an overhead shot maybe??

adidas
06-08-2005, 02:43 AM
It is the larger hole. Looking at it again, it almost looks like the bottom of a snail (suction part). Is it possible for a snail to get in or get grabbed? How in the world can I try and remove it without getting my fingers pinched? :smile:

Walter

tweezers?
:confused:

whaase
06-08-2005, 02:56 AM
I tried lightly moving it with my wifes knitting needle. It feels almost like cartilage, the clam was trying to close but it is definitely part of him... no idea what it is or what I should do.. I guess leave it alone and see what happens....

Walter

christyf5
06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Update??

whaase
06-08-2005, 07:24 PM
It closed up last night, I'll let you know when I get home today.

I've ordered macro lenses for the new camera, I should be able to get better close up's! :biggrin:

Walter

andestang
06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Have you changed anything in your tank lately, lights, water movement etc ?It does look like something is stressing it. Has the coloration changed ? With it not able to close it sounds like its "gaping"

whaase
06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Nothing has changed in the last month (new skimmer was added). It was dead today :sad: . The thing coming out the bigger of the 2 holes looked kind of like a tung (sp?) (I know they don't have such a thing :biggrin: ) Last night it was trying to snap shut but it couldn't... Not sure what happened... it was doing really well. I hope I didn't forget something or didn't do something I was supposed too!?

Walter

christyf5
06-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Aww, Walter thats awful. :sad: But did you look in the shell today? Was that hard thing still there? Just wondering.

whaase
06-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I looked around a bit, but there was not a whole lot left inside.... Guess I'll have to find another one now...

Walter

Aww, Walter thats awful. :sad: But did you look in the shell today? Was that hard thing still there? Just wondering.

andestang
06-08-2005, 11:26 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear :sad: A good speciman seems hard to find around Calgary lately :confused:

Brandoser
06-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Whass,
I'm sorry to hear about your clam. I couldn't help but notice that beautiful
yellow anenome looking thing behind it. What is that?

Delphinus
06-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Clams are exceedingly sensitive. Honestly, I think if you have one >1 year in your tank, you're doing really well. There are so many things that can do them in without you even knowing it. And the problem is, the mantle can be responsive well after the rest of the clam has taken ill, that they can look to be healthy and doing well, long after the point they are "essentially" dead.

Another thing to watch out for, once one goes, it very frequently starts a cascade effect, and others in the tank alongside (even though may have been healthy to begin with) can be taken down in the aftermath.

Very frustrating, and disappointing, since they are so nice to look at.

Sorry to hear of your loss Walter. :frown:

muck
06-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Whass,
I'm sorry to hear about your clam. I couldn't help but notice that beautiful
yellow anenome looking thing behind it. What is that?

Looks like Green Star Polyps to me.

whaase
06-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Yup, GSP.

Thanks for the info Tony!

Walter

EmilyB
06-19-2005, 07:54 PM
That sucks Walter...I've never really had trouble keeping clams purchased the last few years, but I've no clue what was "inside?" yours. Clams do have "tongue-like things" that they stick out when they are dying. :sad:

I bought a very nice healthy teardrop maxima in town just the other day for $69 :eek: :biggrin: Give me a shout sometime. I'm always scouting out new clams. :mrgreen: In fact, if you want a reasonably priced clam (squamosa) to try things out there, let me know. :biggrin:

whaase
06-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info/offer! I have to figure out what to do with my Anenome first. It is getting way to big for my tank now! :eek:

Walter

That sucks Walter...I've never really had trouble keeping clams purchased the last few years, but I've no clue what was "inside?" yours. Clams do have "tongue-like things" that they stick out when they are dying. :sad:

I bought a very nice healthy teardrop maxima in town just the other day for $69 :eek: :biggrin: Give me a shout sometime. I'm always scouting out new clams. :mrgreen: In fact, if you want a reasonably priced clam (squamosa) to try things out there, let me know. :biggrin: