PDA

View Full Version : Any Photo Tips?

gboots
10-29-2001, 07:45 PM
Any one have any tips on taking tank shots images/smiles/icon_confused.gif. I've taken some in the past when tank was a fw. They never turned out well at all! No fancy digital camera just a 35 mm point and shoot.

Thanks,

reefburnaby
10-30-2001, 12:38 PM
Hello,

Taking a picture of a fish tank with a 35mm is quite tricky.

What kind of a problem are you having ?

- Victor.

DJ88
10-30-2001, 12:58 PM
You are going to need a tripod for sure. a good quality film will help. The big thing is you can't use a flash unless it is from a different angle so it's reflection doesn't appear in the shot. Remote flashes work here.

Due to not being able to use the flash(most people dont have external flashes) you will need to do a longer exposure to get a proper picture.

If you took a roll of film and then sat down and took a series of the same shots while changing your Fstop and shutter speed(while keeping this recorded for later) you will find out once you develop the shots what works the best for you. Then keep using thses settings or close to it.

I'd look at using a higher speed film as it will help lower the length of time you expose the film to the light and help lower blurring.

That is my opinion tho.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I just play with my 35mm. I am no pro..

All of this is null if you go buy a fancy shmancy SLR camera. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I am tlaking about $2000 camera tho.. lol.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

gboots
10-30-2001, 02:21 PM
My crappy camera uses stupid APS film. The camera doesn't have Fstop or shutter speed select. Just one button to take the picture. Would have like to buy a digital camera but just sunk $1200 into the SW tank transition! You win some, and you lose some.

I guess I'll have to bug my freind to bowrrow her camera.

Tanks for the tips images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DJ88
10-30-2001, 02:38 PM
No prob.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Silverfish
10-30-2001, 10:47 PM
I lucked out on a few pics I have taken with my 35mm, some with flash taken on an angle to the glass, some without the flash. Need to borrow my friends digital,...but he keeps forgetting to bring it over! Oh well, Christmas is coming, I better put it on my list to Santa. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: Silverfish ]

Tropical Paradise
10-31-2001, 07:26 PM
hi Glen,

One very important tip that I've learned is

Turn off ALL water movements in the tank!!

And also use a tripod if possible.

Get as close to the glass as possible.

If you try to take a picture of the fish, half press the shutter or use burst mode if your camera has this setting.

I've gone digital. So I can examine the shots after I took them.

You are welcome to visit my reef album at the following link:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292339917

You have to click on the picture to get a full resolution shot. 3 of the pictures showed my colt coral spawning, which was amazing.

Pictures were taken with SONY DSC-P1

Hope this helps!

Kai-Wei
images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

gboots
11-01-2001, 05:09 PM
Those were nice shots! Thanks for the tips. Just wondering what kid of fish was in picture "Tank shot 2". Half yellow and half blue?

Tropical Paradise
11-02-2001, 10:05 PM
That's a bi-color angelfish.

Kai-Wei