PDA

View Full Version : The18"cube

outtafocus
06-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I have finally decided I should tell everyone about my system.
-18" cube approx 25gal
-150W Hamilton HQI pendant with 14000K bulb
-Oceanic 30g cube tank stand in maple
-Approx 30lbs of really nice live rock(Tonga?)
-AquaC Remora skimmer with MJ1200 PH
-Aquaclear 110 running as a hang on refugium
-Tunze Osmolator auto top off
-A SEIO 620 and MJ1200 for circulation

Currently I dont have much for live stock in this tank, just a few snails, an emerald crab and a porcelain crab (which I rarely see)
I am undecided if I should run bare bottom or sand. I really like the look of sand, but love the ease of cleaning a barebottom offers. My girlfriend really wants sand, so I will probably have to listen to her.

In the near future I will be loosing the Aquaclear and replacing it with a hang on over flow siphon box attached to a small sump/refugium which is the be home to my new Coralife Superskimmer.

When I figure out how to make my pictures small enough I will begin to post some photos.
Leighton

Beverly
06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I am undecided if I should run bare bottom or sand. I really like the look of sand, but love the ease of cleaning a barebottom offers. My girlfriend really wants sand, so I will probably have to listen to her.

Leighton,

My husband is an integral part of our keeping reefs. He helps make decisions, helps clean tanks and is generally a good reef buddy, but his knowledge base on the subject is not as great as mine. Sometimes we do not agree on a particular subject concerning our reefs, but since I am the one with the most knowledge and experience, I have ultimate decision making powers.

I guess this is my round about way of saying if you are the primary reefkeeper with more knowledge and experience than your partner, it is you who should make the informed decisions. JMHO. Good luck with your new tank :smile: And let's see some pics :biggrin:

outtafocus
06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks Beverly, I know I am the one who needs to choose, but I cant, well not yet anyway.
You run bare bottom correct? I believe I have read your arguments for barebottom. I will decide soon I hope.

As a side note , my camera on lowest quality setting spits out a pic with about 460KB. I have tried to resize the image in a photo editing program but it only reduces the images actual size not its file size, any tips?

outtafocus
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Pics, if this works.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/cubeandstand2.jpg

Beverly
06-08-2005, 02:54 AM
Yup, we have three BB tanks. Actually, both Chris and I agreed on that point, for once :lol: :razz:

If you do go BB, stack your rock so you can siphon stuff out from the front, sides and back, and so that you can baste the crud from under the rock. As much crid accumulates under the rock as it does in easy to get at areas.

Nice set up :cool:

outtafocus
06-08-2005, 04:32 AM
I will be reaquascaping sometime soon, the rock was just placed in there without any real plan as I was unsure if it needed a mini cycle or not. Ammonia and nitrites where undetectable over the past month.

I will probably reaquascape right after I decide on bare bottom or not. Thats my only sticking point at the moment.

Gujustud
06-08-2005, 03:02 PM
As a side note , my camera on lowest quality setting spits out a pic with about 460KB. I have tried to resize the image in a photo editing program but it only reduces the images actual size not its file size, any tips?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

On the right side on the menu, you'll find the Image Resizer. Download/install. Then once its installed just right click on your file under windows explorer, click RESIZE IMAGE, pick a size, and it will make it smaller visually and size wise too.

outtafocus
06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks

Tarolisol
06-09-2005, 03:58 AM
I like the look of sand, and ive never cleaned sand, i think its a bad idea to clean it if you have it. Dont want to stir up bad stuff.

BCOrchidGuy
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Sorry Sean but if you have sand you really should clean it. If it's a DSB then you don't want to stir up the depths but as long as it's a shallow sand bed then it's important to clean it.
Myself I'm on the BB band wagon. Hoping for some nice coraline growth to colour up the tank bottom etc.

Doug

Tarolisol
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Sorry Sean but if you have sand you really should clean it. If it's a DSB then you don't want to stir up the depths but as long as it's a shallow sand bed then it's important to clean it.
Myself I'm on the BB band wagon. Hoping for some nice coraline growth to colour up the tank bottom etc.

Doug

Well i have a 2in sand bed and its never been cleaned and will never be cleaned. It looks as good as the day i put it in. I have no NO3 or NH4 so ill stick with what works.

BCOrchidGuy
06-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Thats one of the cool things about reef keeping what works for one doesn't always work for another. Finding what works for you is great, sticking with it is even better.

Doug