PDA

View Full Version : metal frame to hold 3 MH pendants for a 180...

smokinreefer
06-07-2005, 03:28 PM
hey all,

i'm not very good at DIY, but am wantig to build a metal frame to sit on my 180 that i can mount 3 MH pendants to.

anyone seen any designs? anyone able to help me out? or anyone know what i'm talking about? :lol:

basically i just want a frame of a canopy/hood... it just needs to be sturdy... and just being a frame will allow for plenty of access from the top of the tank and allow for maximum airflow... and needs to be able to mount 3 pendants too.

any ideas on what type of material to use? etc.

TIA.

Matt
06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
DIY from metal is going to be pretty challenging unless you have some specialized tools. If you don't mind the "rough" look, you could do it out of galvanized pipe. Painted flat black it would probably look OK, and being hollow provides a method of hiding wires. The only drawback is that the fittings are bulky and unattractive.

You could maybe do something with threaded rod as well, although I'm not sure how much load it can carry across a span for a given guage, or of the availability of T and corner fittings. A quick run to the local DIY store of your choice should spark ideas.

Anything that's steel or iron (angle stock or square tube) is going to need grinders, welders and bending/cutting tools that aren't part of the everyman's toolbox.

Don't use copper! On one hand, you won't have ich problems, on the other hand, you won't have any pesky inverts to worry about either.

StirCrazy
06-07-2005, 11:42 PM
I would use 1" steel square tube then after you have all your holes drilled and such take it and get it powder coated. If you lived here it wouldn't be hard to do as I have all the tooks for cutting and welding steel.

Steve

Bryan
06-08-2005, 01:27 AM
What about mounting the pendants on a piece of finished wood and hanging it from the ceiling

BCOrchidGuy
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
If you want maximum access then how about just a steel bar suspended from the ceiling? You can place your lights on the bar nice and easy. If you want the actual frame I suspect it will be a bit more challenging.

Doug

smokinreefer
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
hmmm...
i've gotten a few ideas now... just need to see if its feasable for me...

as for suspending from the ceiling... i'd prefer not to... the tank is still at my parents house, and i dont really want to do anything more to the room than whats already done... water damage to walls, carpet etc.

i suppose as a compromise between the 2 ideas would be to add some sort of wooden frame to the existing stand and mount the pendants from there...

back to the drawing board...

SuperFudge
06-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Shao,

I wouldnt use steel at all...even with a paint job itll still rust eventually,not to mention its way too heavy.

Try aluminum, you can get square tubing aswell.
It is easy to cut, drill and rivet too.

I built mine out of it and it wasnt too bad at all, just 3x more expensive than steel, but 3x lighter.

If your ever into a trip out this way again, i would show you how i did mine....Its road trip time anyways isnt it ? :lol:

Marc.

Bryan
06-09-2005, 02:36 AM
Any pics you could share.

Shao,

I
I built mine out of it and it wasnt too bad at all, just 3x more expensive than steel, but 3x lighter.

Marc.

smokinreefer
06-09-2005, 02:49 AM
....Its road trip time anyways isnt it ? :lol:

probably... it's been a while since we've hooked up... plus i gotta check out your new set up!

kari
06-09-2005, 04:38 AM
If you are going with aluminum, check out Princess Auto. They have a variety of shapes at better prices then the typ building supply places. But I figure aluminum doesn't make good friends with saltwater either. It would work out just fine if there is no contact like spashing or salt creep.

kari
06-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Ah crap, just reread post. I used 1-1/2" (or 2") aluminum angle. Made a rectangle slightly smaller width then the reflector. The reflector then drops into the frame and is held securely without fasters. Easy to pop the reflector out for cleaning the bulbs or reflector. MH sockets are quick to attach to the aluminum angle. The aluminum angle was just straight cut and lap jointed with a few aluminum rivets. This U-Do was suspended from the ceiling with chain over a frag tank, remote U-Do ballast box.

The heaviest part in the fixture is the socket

SuperFudge
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Any pics you could share.

Shao,

I

Marc.

bryan, I am unsure how to get pics onto here, but i uploaded a couple into my gallery if you wish to have a look.

Keep in mind it isnt exactly a frame, but and enclosed canopy....i needed to be able to vent this to outside.

None of the bulbs are in place on it, but it houses 4x 55w pc`s, 4x 110w VHO and 3x 400w halides. a total of 1860 watts... :eek: (psst, dont tell my wife plz)
Marc.

muck
06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/20Canopy_037.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/20Canopy_023.jpg

:cool:

BCOrchidGuy
06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Hokie Dina!!!!! That's almost 10 Cents an hour!!!! Nice looking hood/canopy/frame.

Doug

adidas
06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
:eek: :eek: wow!!!! Nice

Bryan
06-10-2005, 01:57 AM
I was debating modifying my closed canopy to a open design by keeping a finished wood trim about 4 inches high around the tank top to hide the plumbing, actinics, salt creep etc. Then use pendants for the halides. I think it would look ok, but am wondering how much stray light would be thrown off to the ceiling and walls.

SuperFudge
06-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks Muck,

Could you let me in on how you did that ?

Did you have to host it somewhere first ?

Shao, your welcome over anytime bud.

Marc.

muck
06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Muck,

Could you let me in on how you did that ?

Did you have to host it somewhere first ?

Shao, your welcome over anytime bud.

Marc.

Nope. It's being "hosted" in the Canreef Photo Gallery.

All you do is...

- right click on the photo in the gallery and copy the url minus anything after the .jpg
- paste it in to your post
- highlight the url you just posted and click the img tag
- presto the pic shows up in your post.

Give it a try. If you run stuck let me know and I'll try to help out. :biggrin:

DJ88
06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
....Its road trip time anyways isnt it ? :lol:

probably... it's been a while since we've hooked up... plus i gotta check out your new set up!

Shao,

I am thinking about heading out tomorrow morning. I will have to be back here by 4pm but if Marc is ok with it you want to go? I can give you a ride in the new car. ;) :p

I'd need Marcs address tho(Marc PM it to me if you are able to have visitors tomorrow. ;) ). I think Troy was talking about going. I'll call him later and see for sure.

Troy F
06-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey! I want a ride in the car!!!

smokinreefer
06-10-2005, 03:19 PM
crap, seems like i never have time for anything anymore...
thanks for the offer darren, i'll have to catch up with you guys next time...
i got a wedding i have to be at...
but i heard troy would like a ride! :wink:

Troy F
06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
I was going to drive but why pass up an opportunity to ride in that car!

DJ88
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear that Shao. Could have been fun. ;) Troy.. Got your call, was in a meeting. Will call you later on to set this up if Marc is up for it. :)

Well without Shao in the car we will be about 2/10ths of a second faster on the 1/4 mile. ;)

I'll call ya tonight to set it up. :) Hopefully Marc is home.. :lol: If not we will do donuts on his lawn.