PDA

View Full Version : No need for the Tang Police

BMW Rider
06-06-2005, 02:38 AM
I am trying to decide on what else to add to my 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I currently have a Coral Beauty and a Domino damsel in it plus the large scarlet hermit crab. I know it is too small for a tang, but I've been wondering if a threadfin butterfly would be a good choice. I have seen that a 50 is the minimum reccomended size for them, but I'm not sure if that makes it an ideal tank size. I don't want to have it outgrow the tank and have to find it a new home.

What is the general consensus on butterfly fish tank sizing? Are there Butterfly Police too?

Beverly
06-06-2005, 03:06 AM
I've got a latticed butterfly in my 120g. It grows to an adult size of 6" long in the wild. I think I am pushing the limit with this fish, however, at the moment, it's just under 2" long. How big do threadfins get?

BMW Rider
06-08-2005, 04:22 PM
I see that they reach up to 8" in captivity. Sounds a little big for a 50, and I dislike having to find new homes for fish. I don't know how fast they grow and how long it would be ok in that small of a tank. Perhaps I need to come up with a better choice. Odd that it would be reccomended for a 50 gallon tank.

BCOrchidGuy
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Ed I agree, it's odd how some recommendations go but it's good that you are asking and using sense in making the decision. Bravo to you.

Doug