PDA

View Full Version : Tang and Pseudochromis

terryp01
09-22-2001, 09:51 PM
Here's a picture of my favorite fish, most of the time he is almost solid white with yellow lines. The picture below is when he is mad at me.

http://members.home.net/terryp01/images/dussumieri.jpg

This is a picture of my new fish, McCullochi pseudochromis. I actually have a mated pair of them.

http://members.home.net/terryp01/images/mccullochi_1.jpg

Both of these fish are rare and very difficult to get in the U.S. They are from Australia.

duss

smokinreefer
09-22-2001, 10:05 PM
duss,
those fish are beautiful! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

can you tell me more about your tang? any info would be appreciated.

any more pics? i would love to see more.

so have you had any successful spawns from your pseudo? oops, just read that you said they were new, so i suppose no spawns yet.

thanks

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: smokinreefer ]

DJ88
09-22-2001, 10:27 PM
WOW images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The Pseudo is awesome.. Tang aint to shabby either.. Sweet fish. really nice.. if you get anymore pics post them.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

terryp01
09-22-2001, 10:40 PM
I will be happy to post more pictures of my babies... but it will have to be tomorrow. I have to resize the photos and upload to my website.

The female pseudo is just as nice as the male. It is difficult to get them both in the same picture since they are demonstrating spawing tendencies.

The proper name for the tang is Acanthurus dussumieri. The habitat range is from east Africia to Hawaii. They are VERY aggressive fish and get big. The one in the picture was about 3 inches when I got him, now he is about 7 inches (I have had him for a year). I did have a big boy that was 11" but he died.

They are typical tangs and will eat anything. If I don't feed him twice a day he beats up on his tank mates. He is in my 180 and is a speed demon.

I have a smaller one (4") in my 90 gallon reef. He is just as aggressive.

I will get more pictures of him in his 'white' dress and post tomorrow.

If any of you are interested in getting one, I will keep my eyes out and let you know.

DJ88
09-22-2001, 11:11 PM
the Pseudos are the ones I'd like.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

smokinreefer
09-23-2001, 03:17 AM
yes me too! so get them breeding and raise the fry in the name of aquaculture and preservation! then you can sell them to us!! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

just curious duss, how much did the pseudos set yoou back?

DJ88
09-23-2001, 12:12 PM
Hey Smokin,

$250 a pair US.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Thinking about it.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

dussumieri emailed me the prices.. Sweet fish huh?

DJ88
09-23-2001, 12:18 PM
dussumieri,

What's the latin name for those beauties?

smokinreefer
09-23-2001, 12:59 PM
hey dj,
maybe YOU can get them, and i can just come over and look at them!! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but yes, if i could afford them i would get them, they are truly one of the most beautiful fish i have seen.

DJ88
09-23-2001, 02:00 PM
Smokin,

I am thinking about it.. Thing is I have another pseudo I love.. The Splendid Dottyback.. *DROOOL*

Have tried to get two of those.. Still want two..

Now what do I do???? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

terryp01
09-23-2001, 02:26 PM
DJ88,

I have two spendids as well. Really neat fish and fun to watch. Most people think they are aggressive but mine are really passive.

I will update my website so you can all drool over my fish.

The scientific names are:

Tang - Acanthurus dussumieri (701)
McCullochi - Cypho purpurescens (961)
Spendid - Pseudochromis splendens (983)

The numbers following the fish are the pages they can be found on in Baensch Marine Atlas.

Spendid's are being tank raised and are becoming more readily avaialble for cheaper prices. In the past, the wholesale for these fish was about $45-50.00 US, now you can find them for about $25.00 (from Bali) and sometimes cheaper than that if they are tank raised.

Pull out the soap box.... Tank raised fish are healthier, use to seeing people and adapt better to aquarium home life. Oh, did I mention the usually live twice as long (IME).

And for you not willing to pay top dollar for prized fish, check out the Flame Pseudochromis (Ogilbyina novaehollandiae) on page 966. I bought one for myself but ended up selling it for $40.00 to a friend. The juv state of this fish is very striking.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I am always looking for exotic fish and usually buy 2-3 when I find them to pick out the one I want and sell the others.

duss

DJ88
09-23-2001, 02:49 PM
Well I know how much I love the dottybacks.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

I may tap your resources in the future for a pair of dottybacks. I have wanted some sooo badly.. If you could lead me in the right direction as to where I can order a pair I'd be very greatful.

I am checking out the juv flame now.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

smokinreefer
09-23-2001, 05:02 PM
yes i love dottybacks also, once upon a time i had a p. springeri. tho it had no vivid colors, it was still a very striking fish.