PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Anenomes

Dorkel Marine 1
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Hello every one. I just purchased a BTA from Jason Mck. I was just wondering from all you experienced anenome owners what your feeding regime's are for them. Also are they sensitive to salinity swings.

George. Thanx in advance

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
George, stability is key with anemones. I fed mine twice a week with prawn meat or mysis, it seemed to do well on that. There is an anemone faq somewhere on the web, I posted a link once for it. Search here on anemonefaq

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
www.carlosreef.com/anemoneFAQ.pdf

vanreefer
06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I feed mine once evry 1-2 weeks it has been happy in my tank for almost a year :cool:

DiscusZ
06-06-2005, 12:00 AM
That link is dead Brad.

Aquattro
06-06-2005, 02:19 AM
sorry about that, I'll find a new one.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Once or twice a week is probably plenty because according to Wetwebmedia, the major cause of anemone deaths in captivity is over-feeding, rather than underfeeding. If your lighting is powerful enough, many people find that it is unnecessary to feed. My LTA used to feed regularly but after changing to a new Panasonic 96w bulb, its colour & health improved even without regular feedings.

BTW, after a good meal, don't panic if your anemone shrivels up & looks crappy. That's normal. It'll look great within a day or two.

Anthony

Aquattro
06-06-2005, 02:23 AM
here's the real link

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

even checked it this time! :biggrin:

DanG
06-06-2005, 03:43 AM
I give mine a 1/4 inch square of raw shrimp about once a week. It seems to love it.

StirCrazy
06-06-2005, 04:14 AM
I feed mine formulae 2 ever day when I feed my clown fish I drop it in a spot so that about 1/2 of it blows onto the anemone.

Steve

Dorkel Marine 1
06-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Brad for the reference very helpful. Thanks everyone else for your input. The clowns are really starting to interact with the BTA now. Especially the female. The little male gets a few hugs from the anenome but usually consoles himself in the anthelia. So far so good.

Thanks again George

doch
06-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I was asking this question a while ago and got a lot more varied answers. I too have heard that over feeding is no good for them. One of my buddies hasn't fed his in 'months' he says and it is doing just fine. The way that I figure it just from observing the way my tank works... if you have clowns and they are hosting in it, you'll probably be OK not feeding very often at all. Pretty much everytime I feed, my maroon brings a few chunks over and feeds the RBTA for me. My plan now is to feed a little extra so that the clown will bring a little more food to the anemone once the clown is full. What kind and how many clowns do you have BTW?

Dorkel Marine 1
06-07-2005, 07:19 AM
I have two I believe they are wild caught Percula clowns. So I was told at J&L anyway. I'm going to go and check now that you asked.

George Out