PDA

View Full Version : octopus?

possitive k
06-05-2005, 07:57 PM
does anyone know if you can buy or even keep an octopus?

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
yes, you can buy them. Yes, you can keep them, the method depends on the octopus. Most only live a year or two, they will escape from your tank, and they will likely eat anything you put in the tank. Oh, they hide most of the time. And escape a lot. Some can kill you, others need temparate water. And they escape a lot. But, ya, it can be done.

I used to keep one in the biology department at school. I used to have to retrieve it all the time from the hallways! Did I mention that they escape a lot? :razz:

Tangman
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes you can but they are rare to find in stores and are a speices only tank tpye of thing and they hind ALL the time so if you had one you would rarely see it

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-05-2005, 08:07 PM
You can buy them occasionally. You would need a special species tank with a mesh covered lid so it couldn't escape. However, octopi are short lived animals & need a relatively cool, escape proof tank. A full life span is usually only a year. :cry: They also prefer foods like live crabs & clams. Do lots of research before you make your decision. It would at best be a temporary pet in captivity. BTW, you will rarely ever see it since it hides 95% of the time. Definitely a fascinating creature best left in the ocean IMO.

Anthony

possitive k
06-05-2005, 08:21 PM
thanks for the info everyone i think i will leave them in the ocean, the seem like alot of work, and alot of advil's :biggrin: thanx

Tangman
06-05-2005, 08:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey, did I mention the escape a lot? Funniest thing, I come out of the bio lab, and down the hall are all the students backed up to the walls, screaming their lungs out as this octopus crawls down the hall. almost wet myself laughing. Until I had to catch it and put it back in the tank.

Beverly
06-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Brad,

Octopii don't ever escape, do they :lol: :razz:

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Brad,

Octopii don't ever escape, do they :lol: :razz:

I've heard they do, but always thought it urban legend"...but who knows for sure.... :razz: