PDA

View Full Version : ? About Hagen Cycle

Jason McK
06-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm looking to boost my de-nitrifying bacteria after my system crash. My Question is; Does Cycle replace or add the correct bacteria or is the bacteria in cycle a different type that will only aid for the short term and then die off?

Thanks
Jason

BCOrchidGuy
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
My understanding is that it will replace or help repopulate the correct bacteria. It doesn't contain any invertibrates etc just bacteria. Some people say it's just hype though. I've experienced good results with it but especially good results with Carib Sea Aragalive sand.

Doug

Beverly
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
When I first started out with FW tanks years ago, it was recommended to me that I use Cycle to speed up the cycling time of a new tank. So I bought some, put it in my tank, expecting the tank to cycle more quickly that the usual 6 weeks I'd read it usually took a new tank to cycle. Well, even after using Cycle, the tank still took 6 weeks to cycle :confused: I concluded that Cycle was a useless product and have never wasted my money on it again.

From your post, I'm guessing that you want to add "nitrifying bacteria" that will eat up or neutralize ammonia and nitrite. For that purpose, Prime or Amquel will neutralize toxic ammonia to non-toxic ammonium. Prime also says on their bottle that if you add extra Prime, that it will also "remove" nitrite and nitrate. I tested this claim a while back, and extra Prime does do something to nitrite and nitrate, but for the life of me, I'm sure it does not "remove" but converts these substances into some other form of nitrogen.

Get hold of some macroalgae and toss it into your tank. It will slurp up ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate. The more macroalgae you have the better it will work, providing you have light over the tank.

BTW, what are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Personally, I'd just let nature take it's course rather than add "stuff". You had a bunch of things die, they need to cycle through various stages before returning to normal.
Patience really is the best additive for reef tanks.

Tangman
06-05-2005, 08:22 PM
IMO, if you want to speed up the cycle the best way is to get some mature live rock and a little live sand , a pinch of flake food and presstoe - instant cycle!!
That Cycle product is just a Hagen money grab ,as most of there products are..... :smile:

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 08:24 PM
IMO, if you want to speed up the cycle the best way is to get some mature live rock and a little live sand

Call me paranoid, but this is a good way to introduce someone else's problems to your tank. Use patience as your tool of choice. You'll be happier in the long run. Waiting isn't really that bad, is it?

Jason McK
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Well I went to J&l to purchase something like cycle and walked out completely empty handed. I think I'll just wait it out. Thats always the best way

J

BCOrchidGuy
06-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Okay yes for sure if your system crashed I'd take it extra slow this time. I read but didn't completely understand your post.

Patience, time and more patience are best at this point.

Doug