PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Manderin on Prepared Foods

Richer
06-05-2005, 06:20 AM
According to your experience, whats the best way of getting a manderine on prepared foods?

-Rich

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Target feed with a turkey baster. I use a mix of PE mysis, Hikari mysis & cyclopeeze. If you can get the small shrimp size PE mysis, then you can just you that without the Hikari. Good luck.

Anthony

Vagabond
06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I have too much flow in my tank and my mandarin is alot slow at the dinner table so when I tried the turkey baster method the mysis would just cruise by my mandarin and my 2 clownfish, 2 cleaner shrimp and my peppermint shrimp and would hastily gobble it up while the mandarin was busy eyeballing and deciding how exactly to attack the meal at hand.

I bought a piece of that 3/4" diameter thin clear plastic aquarium tubing. I put the mysis in the tube and use a baster to force the mysis down to the bottom. I let the tube rest on the sand and when the mysis starts to settle lift the edge up so my mandarine can reach underneath and he gets to eat all he wants. It is at the point now that as soon as the tube is in the water he swims right over and will now even swim up the tube while the mysis is drifting down and eat. This way he does not compete with my clowns whom quickly caught on to the feeding tube and hover around the base of the tube sharing the spoils with the mandarin. At least they relentlessly chase all 3 shrimp out of the area if they get near the tube :lol:

Richer
06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
The mandarin is the only fish thats living in my fuge, so competition and high flow isn't a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming :razz:

-Rich

OCDP
06-05-2005, 04:40 PM
If you do turkey baste, your going to want to baste the mysis underneath the mandarin. chances are it will see it much better.

i seen a video from melev on RC, he was feeding his mandarin pellets, and he used this thing called the mandarin diner, if you ahve no small fish or competition, try getting an empty small jar,and put some food in there and rest it on the bottom, and see if the food will actually stay in the jar, if so, the mandarin can just come into the jar for food... it works with pellets, not sure if mysis would really work though :confused: