PDA

View Full Version : overflow boxes

outtafocus
06-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Who is using overflow boxes?
I know they tend to be less than desirable but I may be forced to use one.
Any brands which you can recomend? I have read that the CPR looses siphon.

I have been informed that a few members may actually manufacture an overflow box, this is interesting if true?

Let me know what you think

Robw
06-04-2005, 05:46 AM
If you mean siphon overflows, I have been using one since my tank was set up about 3 or 4 years ago. It has never lost siphon. I think the trick is to keep the flow fast enough to prevent bubbles from collecting in the siphon tube.

megatron_55
06-04-2005, 08:31 AM
If you mean siphon overflows, I have been using one since my tank was set up about 3 or 4 years ago. It has never lost siphon. I think the trick is to keep the flow fast enough to prevent bubbles from collecting in the siphon tube.

Yup . . mee too (im using a cpr brand) . . . Mind you Im using a cs50 model (the smallest one about 300gph) . . . Mine came with an aqualifter pump to prevent siphon loss even at power outage . . . Had it running on my tank for about a year and a half . . . :cool: Excellent product for me. JME

outtafocus
06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
RobW what brand are you using?
Megatron, the aqualifter pumps water right?

Robw
06-04-2005, 03:18 PM
I am using one I built myself. It is on a 50 gal tank with a velocity t4 return pump.

AndyL
06-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I can tell you bear27 builds a real nice overflow box. And he builds them to spec - always nice when you can get exactly what you want. Costs were very reasonable IMO - mine actually cost less than a store bought (but I supplied my own acrylic)

Andy

AndyL
06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Bear will probably want to smack me around for not cleaning it up before posting a picture - but just know the salt creep and grunge is from testing - not construction :)

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293overflow45.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293overflowside.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293overflowtop.jpg

outtafocus
06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Albert from Golds was telling me about how bear27 makes them. Looks quite nice.
I will have to contact him to get a quote.
Andy, where did you buy your acrylic?

outtafocus
06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I have read so many threads saying the CPR overflows where no good, but it seems you guys are having really good luck with them. Im confused, Utubes or weir style?? I guess it comes down to personal opinion.

I really dont like equipment that looks unprofessional. The bear unit is very professional.
Andy do you think black acrylic or clear would be a better choice? I know the black will prevent algae growth but the clear you can always see whats going on.

AndyL
06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Bear27 is a member right here - pm him and ask.

I had the first one built out of clear - didn't like how I could see through it - crud will settle into it, looks out of place in the tank - and the grate really stood out (of course that was because I built it out of eggcrate).

Mine's actually built out of "smoke" acrylic - it's not black if you shine a flashlight on it, you can see through it...

My acrylic came from excess / cutoffs from work - you'd have to talk to laird plastics or someone along those lines about costs of acrylic etc.

Andy

Justin_18
06-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I have been using an external overflow box made by lifereef since December and it works perfectly. The siphon is a bit tricky to get going but after you do you will never have problems with it. The outside compartment has a section within it for the siphon tube to make sure that even if the power goes out the water level in the tank will simply lower until it is equal to the water level in the outside compartment and then it will stop siphoning while still keeping the water in the siphon tube so that when the power comes on again the siphon will continue siphoning as normal. I have been very happy with this box, so I thought I would let you know.