PDA

View Full Version : What type of coral is this?

adidas
06-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey guys..

what type of coral is this?
thanks
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/adidas28/coral.jpg

Delphinus
06-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Looks like an acropora of some kind. I can't really tell if it's alive (fleshy) or just skeleton though. Do you see any polyp extension when it's in the water?

adidas
06-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Looks like an acropora of some kind. I can't really tell if it's alive (fleshy) or just skeleton though. Do you see any polyp extension when it's in the water?

yup, and it has grown quite a bit, it used to be less than half that size! was hard to get a good pic in the water, though.

albert_dao
06-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Should be acro, it has the distinctive axial polyp at the end of all the branches.

adidas
06-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Should be acro, it has the distinctive axial polyp at the end of all the branches.

too bad it such a boring color..brown, yippee :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
06-04-2005, 05:00 PM

um most acros are brown. what are you running for lights and how far below the lights is it?

Steve

adidas
06-04-2005, 05:19 PM

um most acros are brown. what are you running for lights and how far below the lights is it?

Steve

400watt mh foot away from it

StirCrazy
06-04-2005, 07:08 PM
give it some time, it may color up or it may not. I usaly found that while mine were going like crazy putting down a good base they didn't have much color but once they got larger the color started to come out. this may or may not happen in your case.

Steve

adidas
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
give it some time, it may color up or it may not. I usaly found that while mine were going like crazy putting down a good base they didn't have much color but once they got larger the color started to come out. this may or may not happen in your case.

Steve

cool.. well i sold my MH now, so i guess the coral is toast! :cry:

One_Divided
06-05-2005, 01:13 AM
that's an acropora deadasadoornailis

let's not kid ourselves, that thing is gone.. sorry!

Tarolisol
06-05-2005, 01:18 AM

Now why would you think that, theres nothing to tell you that, he says its been growing. Maybe its just browned out, i have had a large acro bleach out tottaly white get algea growing on it and then turn right around and brighten up again with nice colors. Lots of the time its not dead until you take it outa the tank.

Aquattro
06-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Easy to tell, pull it out and smell it. Acros tissue is very unique in it's odor. If it doesn't smell like anything, it's dead.

adidas
06-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Easy to tell, pull it out and smell it. Acros tissue is very unique in it's odor. If it doesn't smell like anything, it's dead.

interesting. but yeah its been growing and looks nice and fuzzy.. short of a macro shot, i'd say its alive. i'll try the smell test though. :)

StirCrazy
06-05-2005, 04:22 PM

um, are you seeing white in that pic at all? I am seeing brown and not algae.

Steve

Samw
06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Let's see another pic of it underwater with polyps extended. The way that coral reflects light in the picture, it didn't look like it has any tissue on it. It had the same texture as the liverock. I thought we were looking at a skeleton.

adidas
06-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Let's see another pic of it underwater with polyps extended. The way that coral reflects light in the picture, it didn't look like it has any tissue on it. It had the same texture as the liverock. I thought we were looking at a skeleton.

well it has quadroupled in size since i've had it..but i'll try and get underwater pic....

One_Divided
06-09-2005, 07:27 AM
that thing has been dead for a long time! let it go! It has no tissue. The brown on it is algae. The same colour as the algae on the rock it's mounted on.

adidas
06-09-2005, 05:41 PM
that thing has been dead for a long time! let it go! It has no tissue. The brown on it is algae. The same colour as the algae on the rock it's mounted on.

omg... its a zombie coral :eek: ... Dead, but its still growing :eek: :lol:

One_Divided
06-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I find it very hard to believe that it is alive and growing based on that pic. Sorry.. Maybe you can take a pic of it under water with it's zombie polyps extended?

StirCrazy
06-09-2005, 10:53 PM
I find it very hard to believe that it is alive and growing based on that pic. Sorry.. Maybe you can take a pic of it under water with it's zombie polyps extended?

Adam, there are places that you can go on the net to properly calibrate the color on your monitor, looks like a brown coral that has been taken out of the water for pics on mine, as in looks like there is flesh on it to me.

Steve

adidas
06-10-2005, 01:23 AM

lol

it may be dead now, a week with no lighting :eek:

One_Divided
06-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Oh come on Steve, with your history, I'd think you'd be an expert at spotting a dead acro!

props
06-10-2005, 06:11 AM
IMHO I will have to agree with Adam with this one...As far as the growth described on the coral it beats me. I think usually when an sps shows new growth its not brown but mostly brighten colors... It looks like it has same coralites as a millepora though :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
06-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Oh come on Steve, with your history, I'd think you'd be an expert at spotting a dead acro!

just like you are with flat worms and redbugs I guess :rolleyes:

Steve

Troy F
06-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Keep it civil. It's an ID thread for crise sake :rolleyes: .

adidas
06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
i chisled the frag off last night, and smelled it..it has a distinct smell to it...

christyf5
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
any underwater pics of it?

adidas
06-10-2005, 07:36 PM
any underwater pics of it?

once i get it back under the MH's i'll take more pics