PDA

View Full Version : black sand

digitalsteve
06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
does anyone know where i can get black sand for my nano , i think it would be an amazing contrast with the white rock and a wartskin angler

Veng68
06-03-2005, 09:11 AM
I've seen it at J&L and Big Als & King Ed.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Kabong
06-04-2005, 01:33 AM
I just got mine the other day :smile:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17123

As far as i know you have 2 choices, The tahitian moon sand that i got or Onxy sand, (I heard the Onxy fades after time and looks grey thoug)

I tried J&L and Big Als with no luck, Didnt try King Ed's though.
i ended up getting it shipped from back east $$$.
Anyways i got mine at MOPS if you want it bad enough to pay the shipping.

sumpfinfishe
06-04-2005, 05:53 PM
A word of warning, be careful with black sand as depending on where it's collected from, some black sands have a high volcanic iron content. I found this out when I added black sand from Costa Rica that was so high in metal content that I had shavings forming on my magnet.

The aquarium brands should be ok, but I would test just to be safe!

AndyL
06-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Tahitian moon and Onyx are the same product - one's marketed towards FW ones marketed towards Salt - if you doubt it - call up Carib-sea and ask.

As one would imagine, onyx is cheaper by the pound than the tahitian moon - but the tahitian moon comes in bigger bags.

Andy

Kabong
06-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Tahitian moon and Onyx are the same product - one's marketed towards FW ones marketed towards Salt - if you doubt it - call up Carib-sea and ask.

Andy

I whouldnt be to sure about that the onxy sand is made buy SeaChem, Not CaribSea.

AndyL
06-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Eh, Could be wrong on the maker, but it is the same stuff - there's a reason why the catalogue pictures they use for each (of the product, not the packaging) are identical.

Feel free to call the makers - whether it is carib-sea or seachem. I know we've been over this on a few of the planted tank boards, as many use onyx - but occasionally there are deals on the tahitian moon. It's been confirmed a few times that it is the same product.

Andy

Tarolisol
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Ive you only need it for a nano petland and big als has smallers bags of black sand not sure of the brand.

BCOrchidGuy
06-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I tried black sand and it really darkened up the look of the tank. It appeared that no matter how much light I had on the tank it wasn't enough.

Doug