PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not

outtafocus
06-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I am thinking of picking up the new Coralife super needle wheel skimmer for up to 65gal from www.bigalsonline.ca. It is running for 169.99 with free shipping to Calgary.
I am currently running an AquaC Remora on my 25gal cube and nothing on my 10gal tank.
I am thinking of placing the remora on the 10 and running the Coralife on the 25. Should I even bother, I know I can run the remora on the 10gal maybe every weekend and keep it on the 25 for the rest of the week.

I have heard many a good comment on the Coralife but I am unsure if its worth it.
I could use that money to start stocking my tanks, seeing as though I have virtually nothing but rock and clean up crew.
opinions??

rickjames
06-03-2005, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't bother, keep the skimmer on your 25 and just do water changes on the 10... you could do large water changes with ease!

If you really want it, it is 50$ cheaper at J&L:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=ps-c3000

outtafocus
06-03-2005, 04:50 AM
If I did decide to buy this skimmer and I buy it from JL I would do best to add a few other items to the order. They have free shipping on dry good orders over $200 bucks, this way I can get the skimmer cheaper and get get free shipping.

Im torn though. For $114 I really cant go wrong.

Rikko
06-03-2005, 05:41 AM
I've heard nothing but praise for those skimmers.. There's a lengthy thread on RC from a guy who had just bought one and was replacing a Remora and he was really happy he did it. Only thing I might suggest is that you go for a model higher than the tank you're planning it for. For my 65 I would be seriously torn between the 125 or 260 model.
Another thing about them is there's a lot of "junk" that needs to go in the tank - a big powerhead and a big bubble trap on the return. If you don't have a sump, don't bother with it.

Tarolisol
06-03-2005, 07:12 AM
If you are going to buy it i would go to golds, im sure they have a good price on them. But i never ran a skimmer on the cube and never had good results.

albert_dao
06-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Gold's can match J&L.

danny zubot
06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Why don't you buy the skimmer, then scrap your 10g and 25g for a 65g tank. :mrgreen:

outtafocus
06-03-2005, 05:45 PM
The size of the powerhead is a big deciding factor. That thing is freaking massive. I have looked right through the thread on RC about these skimmers, which actually made me think of it.
I am not running a sump but I am also contemplating that. I would need to pick up one of those hang on over flow systems. I dont like the idea of those things but I hear that a few brands are reliable. Or I could get the 25 drilled and build an over flow.
I should be looking at maybe the 125 gal skimmer model as that way, when I do up grade to a bigger tank, my skimmer will be able to handle it.

outtafocus
06-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Well I decided to pick it up from Golds.
Thank you Albert