PDA

View Full Version : Grounding questions...

Shy_Koi
06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Attempting to finally wire up my retro MH, as it's been collecting dust on a shelf for the past year :eek:
Supplies are lined up: 16/3 wire & plug, soldering gun and heatshrink tubing.
I know which wires from the ballast go where, but I'm unsure of how to ground the reflector and mogul socket.
Can I just strip out a single strand from the 16/3 cord for this ground wire?
Should I use those butt-end circle connector thingies at the ends?

My ballast box has no grounding screw (or any bare spot, for that matter) to attach a ground, but there are slots (painted tho') for attaching with screws, to a wall etc.

Whats's the best way to attach the other end of the ground wire to the mogul/reflector? (between the metal mogul base, where it attaches to the reflector? See arrow in pic.)

http://www.unique-cowgirl.com/ballast3.jpg

Any and all help much appreciated! :lol:

~Tamara

Nemo
06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
When you screw the base to the reflector you can install the ground wire (green one) inbetween the 2.
I would use a wire terminal stud conector (ones with the hole in the middle)
take a piece of sandpaper and scrape the paint where the stud conector will touch the base and reflector, this will give you a good ground

Robert

Shy_Koi
06-02-2005, 12:37 AM
install the ground wire (green one) inbetween the 2.

Robert

Thanks for the response!
That's the part that's confusing me. I have the one ground (green) wire coming from the ballast, that's going to be soldered to the 16/3 wire/plug along with the hot and neutral wire from the ballast.

Do I splice in an extra piece of green wire, from the socket/reflector and join this at the point the ballast's ground wire is going to joined to the cord/plug? ie: 2 ground wires (1 from ballast & 1 from reflector) will be connected to the 1 ground wire in my 16/3 wire? If so, how do I make this Y-join look purty with the heatshrink tubing? :lol:

Sorry for all of the dumb questions...
~Tamara

StirCrazy
06-02-2005, 01:10 AM
just went and checked mine and I gounded it to the ground with that plugs into the wall.

Steve

Shy_Koi
06-02-2005, 01:53 PM
just went and checked mine and I gounded it to the ground with that plugs into the wall.

Steve

Thanks!
~Tamara