PDA

View Full Version : Adding another clown

Richer
05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
I got home from work today to find my dominant clown dried up on the floor :frown: .

Would it be alright if I added another clown into the tank? Assuming that the new clown is smaller than the male thats in the tank now. Before the female went floor surfing, the pecking order was already well established... so I assume I'll have an easier time putting another clown into the tank?

-Rich

Beverly
05-31-2005, 12:32 AM
They will still probably squabble a bit, even if you get a smaller one. What species of clown?

Richer
05-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they're false perculas.

I realize that they will probably squabble for awhile to re-establish the pecking order... but I figure since the current clown now was a male, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

-Rich

Nemo
05-31-2005, 04:07 AM
My understanding is the larger one is female and the smaller one is male. If you put in a smaller one your male will turn into a female over time.

You may be better off finding a larger one that is already paired with a smaller one so you know it is probable a female

Robert

Richer
06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Looks like this problem solved itself sadly enough... I bought a new clown the day after I lost the female. There was a bit of shaking, but after a couple of hours both clowns were getting along all right.... sadly enough, I don't think the new clown was used to the flow/flow pattern of the tank and it got sucked down into the drain... one of my drains are connected to my skimmer, and you guessed it, the clown got sucked into my skimmer and got skimmed to death :sad: .
The male? He's gone MIA. I haven't seen his body on the floor... he didn't make its way into my fuge or my sump or my skimmer. I'm not sure what happened to him really... I saw him last night sleeping in his BTA, but he wasn't there this morning, or now.
These things happen I guess... I did learn a lesson though, if I'm going to get a fish that can fit inbetween the holes of eggcrate, it'd be best to put some gutterguard over that :evil:

-Rich

Beverly
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Dang :eek: :evil: :sad:

geopod
06-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Rich,

You seem to be having some problems with fish dissappearing on you.You sure you dont have something in there that resembles the black hole or bermuda triangle?

george