PDA

View Full Version : Reply with partial qoute

Johnny Reefer
05-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Is there a trick to capturing only a portion of someone else's post when replying with a qoute?
I tried this once, so far, but it kinda sorta didn't work in that it wasn't captured within a white box, and it didn't say "So and so wrote".

AJ_77
05-30-2005, 04:57 PM
So, you don't want this?
I tried this once, so far, but it kinda sorta didn't work in that it wasn't captured within a white box, and it didn't say "So and so wrote".
How about this?
I tried this once, so far, but it kinda sorta didn't work...
Or maybe just this?
"I tried this once, so far, but it kinda sorta didn't work..."

Not sure exactly what you're after here. :smile:

Johnny Reefer
05-30-2005, 05:26 PM
AJ_77,

Re: Your first example....ya, I do want that. It has the "Johnny Reefer wrote:" part, and you've captured only a certain portion of my original post. How do you do that?

Re: Your second example...I didn't know about this one, but ya, that too. (While I have the opportunity). In this example, again, you've captured only a portion of my post, but this time it is titled a quote. (Not "Johnny Reefer wrote") How'd you do that?

I'm not interested in the third method.

Thanx much, and please forgive me for my ignorance on this. I should probably be able to figure it out myself, but just not sure how to do a test run without actually replying to a real post and end up screwing it up. (Follow me?) And I don't see a smitten of info on this in the FAQ section.

Cheers.

Willow
05-30-2005, 05:56 PM
AJ_77,

Re: Your first example....ya, I do want that. It has the "Johnny Reefer wrote:" part, and you've captured only a certain portion of my original post. How do you do that?

Re: Your second example...I didn't know about this one, but ya, that too. (While I have the opportunity). In this example, again, you've captured only a portion of my post, but this time it is titled a quote. (Not "Johnny Reefer wrote") How'd you do that?

I'm not interested in the third method.

Thanx much, and please forgive me for my ignorance on this. I should probably be able to figure it out myself, but just not sure how to do a test run without actually replying to a real post and end up screwing it up. (Follow me?) And I don't see a smitten of info on this in the FAQ section.

Cheers.

in the upper right corner of the post box there is a http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif button. hit that and it will quote the text from the above into your new post. if you dont want all that text in there just edit out the parts you don't want.

you can also hit the "quote" button in the reply and cut and paste a text between the tags for a more generic reply.

marie
05-30-2005, 06:07 PM
or you can edit it to make it look like they said something they didn't really say :razz: .

but that's not a nice thing to do :lol:

Johnny Reefer
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
if you dont want all that text in there just edit out the parts you don't want.

Okay, so I've figured that one out.

Thanx.

Johnny Reefer
05-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Oops. See next post. :redface:

Johnny Reefer
05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
if you dont want all that text in there just edit out the parts you don't want.

And that one too! What I was doing wrong was deleting those quote notations. ([/quote] thingy). That was causing the qoute to not be shown in a white box and without "So and so wrote:"

Marie,
:lol: Ha, ha. Ya got me for a sec, there. I was scratchin' my head, thinkin'..."I didn't say that!".

Thanx a bunch, guys.

Troy F
05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Highlight what you want and copy then hit the quote button, inside the [] and right after the word quote write ="name" then end quote and your done.

[quote="Me"]blah blah blah[/quote ] I've left an extra space after the end quote tag.

AJ_77
05-31-2005, 07:03 AM
or this cute alteration, my favourite:

Marie,
:lol: Ha, ha. Ya got me for a sec, there. You are one clever lady!

:lol: