PDA

View Full Version : Zoo predator?

richtg
05-29-2005, 06:08 AM
Are there any commonly known reef inhabitants that may take to eating zoanthid polyps? I have several colonies, but one colony disappeared almost completely in stages-with no trace. One day they were there, and the next day, half was gone! They were firmly attatched to the rock and once gone, the rock was picked clean to the coraline.

I don't think that they simply detatched and floated away, nor do I think the colony died-as the rest of my colonies are thriving, and there were no signs of decomposition.

Any thoughts? Tanks, Rich.

christyf5
05-29-2005, 06:10 AM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17032

richtg
05-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the link!

Bryan
05-29-2005, 06:53 AM
There is a snail that eats zoo's, I had one in my tank. The species name escapes me at the moment but it is discussed on RC. Quite easy to find as it stays in the colony of zoo's it is consuming.

geopod
06-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey what kind of fish you have in the tank???I just found my Morish Idol eating mine yesturday.After a month of watching my zoo's deplete.I finally found the culprit.

george

kuatto
06-02-2005, 01:28 AM
These are "sundial"snails
http://www.mytankpics.com/tanks/albums/userpics/10017/Pyramid%20snail.jpg
They are zoo eaters,and won't stop untill the zoos are gone.Give all your zoos a fresh water dip and all the "nasty" critters should fall off.

Bryan
06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
The sundial snail is the one I found in my zoo "patch". Eats the zoo's slowly but surely.

Funky_Fish14
06-02-2005, 01:50 AM
DANGIT! THATS WHY MY ZOOS ARENT GROWING! Im gonna go get that guy out right now! Thanks for the pic.

Chris

kuatto
06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Rich
Try watching after the tank lights are out for awhile to see if you can spot either sundial snails or zoo nudis with a flashlight.Also,zoos sometimes just up and die for no aparrant reason.

Chris
Don't confuse these with the "mini turbo" which have a round shell and similar colors(I'll try to find a pic)The sundials are flatter in appearance.

hawk
06-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Don't kill that snail!
I'll take it, I have zoos I have been trying to get rid of for along time. A member on another board sent me a sundial 6-8 months ago. It definately has helped but it can't keep up by itself. The sundial I have now was sent to me in a small plastic pop bottle just in regular mail, I would sure like to get another one. Let me know if you still have it. Thanks

danny zubot
06-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Why are you trying to kill your zoos? Most people love them!

hawk
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM

I have a monti cap that is slowly being overgrown with zoos, as well they are spreading onto other sps. It wouldn't be so bad but they are a ugly brown, not much to look at IMO.

muck
06-02-2005, 08:33 PM

I have a monti cap that is slowly being overgrown with zoos, as well they are spreading onto other sps. It wouldn't be so bad but they are a ugly brown, not much to look at IMO.
Hit them with Joe's Juice. It worked for me. :mrgreen: