PDA

View Full Version : Well he's looking like he's not going to make it

Skimmerking
05-29-2005, 04:53 AM
:cry: Well after all this time waiting fr my prize fish to come out to color up my tank. I don't think my leopard will make it thur the night. :sad: I have been watching him and dont have the heart to flush him he was a pretty penny and a mle from SRI LANKA.

I was just finishing up the sub floor for the slate floor that I'm goin to put in tomorrow. And I hope I dont have to come out to see something I have been dreading.

I have tried everythign in food baby brine ,brine mysis , flake ,spirlina, mega tropical mairne, bloodworms,i have spent over 100 dollars in different types of food and nothing. I'm lost in what i could have tried.

ANd when i bought him the LFS tols me he was eating flake. GO figure

WIsh him luck through the night :cry:

:lilangel: :rocol:

Edmonton Eskimo
05-29-2005, 05:20 AM
That's sad to hear. Have you tried soaking your food in garlic before you feed?

Rikko
05-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Why are you flushing him if he's alive?

Skimmerking
05-29-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm not flushing him , I'm dreading the time when i have to due to be DOA. I have tried everything he wont eat what so ever for me .....

mike

DanG
05-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Have you tried cyclopeze(sp?)? I saw a new moorish idol at SWC eat that stuff like it was candy.

kuatto
05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
How long has he been refusing food?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-29-2005, 08:20 PM
ANd when i bought him the LFS tols me he was eating flake. GO figure Did you ask to see him eat the flake though ?

kuatto
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Mike,I found this off the net;

A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with well established live rock and a layer of live sand is recommended. It eats small invertebrates (foraminiferans and amphiopods) that grow on live rock.

When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should be supplemented with live feeder shrimp, mussel meat, and black worms.

Beverly
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Michael,

Sorry to hear about your fish :sad: I hope Jim's feeding suggestions may be the turning point for your beloved fish :smile:

danny zubot
05-30-2005, 05:27 PM
A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with well established live rock and a layer of live sand is recommended. It eats small invertebrates (foraminiferans and amphiopods) that grow on live rock.

Many wrasses require the same conditions for survival as manderins, does your tank fit that description?

Skimmerking
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Yes it does , by far lots of food in the tank

Edmonton Eskimo
05-30-2005, 11:27 PM
This might sound very weird but I was on cichlid forum and this guy said that he had a fish that wouldn't eat and he actually took it out of the tank and force fed it a small morsel and after that it started to eat. If your fish is going to die anyway it might be worth a try.

AJ_77
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
"Mandarin" (as in, Mandarin Dragonette)

a tangerine is a fruit...

Mike - does it seem to be hunting, cruising over the rockwork, picking at anything? Could be taking a really long time to acclimate maybe, and finding its own food in the meantime...

Skimmerking
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Yes AJ it's always crusing the rocks in and out in the sandbed. may be its eating time will tell..

AJ_77
06-02-2005, 05:52 PM
This might sound very weird but I was on cichlid forum and this guy said that he had a fish that wouldn't eat and he actually took it out of the tank and force fed it a small morsel and after that it started to eat. If your fish is going to die anyway it might be worth a try.
I tried this with a Regal Angelfish that would not eat. He died shortly after - one of the guys from the LFS said I probably aggravated the stress response and hastened its death.

OTOH, another guy with tons of fish experience advised me to try it - said he had luck with the method in the past.

Maybe it's a toss-up, like so many other variables in this hobby.

MIKE, any update on this wrasse?

danny zubot
06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
one of the guys from the LFS said I probably aggravated the stress response and hastened its death.

I think he was just saying that to not be held accountable for selling a bunk fish.

Mike, is the belly of the wrasse sunkin? If it isn't leave him alone, and I mean don't go withing 5 feet of the tank for a day or so. Some creatures just take longer to adjust to being around people. My Regal tang still hides from my after 2 weeks being in the tank. Different fish I know, but its the same concept.

Skimmerking
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Update on the wrasse, Well YEs i have tried Cylopbreeze in the tank , nothing at all to him.

Yes he looks skinny and from when i bought him over 3 months ago it took 2 months for him to come out. since i have posted the post on him may 28 i havent seen him since. nothing .

SO i guess he might have went under the sandbed and stayed there for his final resting place.

mike

andestang
06-02-2005, 10:26 PM
:sad: that sucks

BCOrchidGuy
06-04-2005, 04:10 AM
If you can catch it, I'd give the force feeding a try. Use a pipette and mix up a mash of some flake food and some garlic etc and make it wet with a fair amount of water. Put the pipette into it's mouth and wait till the gills close, squirt in a tiny bit of food and then put it back into the water. Don't feed it to much to start with you don't want to shock it's system. Any chance it has an internal parasite? You may want to add some Praziquantel to the wet mix of food for it.

Good luck,

Doug