PDA

View Full Version : Forsale

whaase
05-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Was there a reason why we don't have a general forsale forum? Seems like there could be potential for people to trade/sell items not fish related for item's that are.

Just wondering...

Walter

Aquattro
05-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Yes, we don't have one because we're a reef related board. For general stuff, www.buysell.com or www.ebay.ca work really well. If you look at the board now, more than half the posts are for sale ads. If we include anything lying around the house, the whole board could become a new ebay. People could sign up solely to sell all their junk, without even knowing what a reef tank was. This has been discussed ad nauseum, we don't allow things not aquarium related.
The buy and sell is a free paper, and has a huge reader base. It's where I sell my stuff.

Willow
05-28-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.iconarchive.com/icon/objects/tools_by_pixture/TableSaw.gif

EmilyB
05-29-2005, 12:04 AM
http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/frech/2/img/021.gif

Invigor
05-29-2005, 12:05 AM
hahaha, nice.

whaase
05-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Yes, we don't have one because we're a reef related board. For general stuff, www.buysell.com or www.ebay.ca work really well. If you look at the board now, more than half the posts are for sale ads. If we include anything lying around the house, the whole board could become a new ebay. People could sign up solely to sell all their junk, without even knowing what a reef tank was.

While I don't agree with the desision, I have no choice to accept it (much like our government). I hope you don't build buisness plans for companies! :confused: With that logic, a person should be able to open a store front and become another Walmart in no time. Not sure how Canreef would become "another ebay" if you opened up another General buy/sell. If I want to sell something I don't scour the internet for knitting forums to sell a table saw (something that could and would be used directly for setting up a tank or DIY (Just a example)). There are many other boards that have such a thing and I would give a educated guess that for every 1 post in the General section there are about 20-30 posts about "fish" related items. Just my $0.02. You can e-mail me if you want to talk further....

The buy and sell is a free paper, and has a huge reader base.

Agree'd

Walter

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 02:13 AM
While I don't agree with the desision, I have no choice to accept it

Good, we're settled then. :biggrin:

Seriously, a lot of thought and discussion has gone into this, and this is how we've decided to run the board. We have discussed options, and something might become available later on, but not at this time.

And no, I don't build buisness plans for companies, so we're pretty safe there.

Willow
05-29-2005, 03:53 AM
since the retailers didnt excatly go for the whole sponsorship deal then why not open it up and charge a small commision on each sale. if the goal is to raise some money titus should get creative.

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Willow, that has been discussed as an option and hasn't been ruled out. Thanks!

Doug
05-29-2005, 02:08 PM
[quote=reef_raf]There are many other boards that have such a thing

I dont believe many aquarium boards do, although many I frequent do allow the sale of camera,s which I assume is where this is coming from.

Doug
05-29-2005, 02:12 PM
[quote=reef_raf] I hope you don't build buisness plans for companies!

I dont see where its neccessary to make a point by taking a shot at Brad, just because he posted a Canreef policy.

You could argue your point other ways.

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 03:06 PM
[quote=reef_raf] I hope you don't build buisness plans for companies!

I dont see where its neccessary to make a point by taking a shot at Brad, just because he posted a Canreef policy.

You could argue your point other ways.

Thanks Doug, but I'm sure Walter didn't mean to be an ass. He's just frustrated that he can't sell his camera on the board.

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Another good resource for people that can't get away from their computers is Usenet. There are newsgroups in Van, Calgary, Victoria, etc, that are online garage sales. If you know how to use your newsreader software, subscribe to calgary.forsale, van.forsale or vic.buysell. These groups sell everything, and no dumb mods to get in your way.

Zerandise
05-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I dont think its that he cant sell it on the board but more he cant offer it to the people he thinks could use it most. that was the issue i had when i had asked if could sell mine on the board. they are an easy sell. sometimes its just nice to give someone you know a deal rather than a stranger.

If you want to know some reef boards you can sell it on let me khnow. I know some that are more than happy to sell reef useful objects such as cameras.

whaase
05-29-2005, 05:16 PM
You nailed what I was trying to get at. :biggrin: I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think Brad does a excellent job (he caught my add pretty quick!) But I'd rather sell something here that I know other reefers could use even if it is not directly aquarium related. I do know of a few that offer selling of such items (including table saws! :razz: ) But If I can, I'd like to sell to local reefers. I also know it would be tough to draw that fine line, but that's what great moderators are for. With that, I'll shut up now. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Walter

I dont think its that he cant sell it on the board but more he cant offer it to the people he thinks could use it most. that was the issue i had when i had asked if could sell mine on the board. they are an easy sell. sometimes its just nice to give someone you know a deal rather than a stranger.

If you want to know some reef boards you can sell it on let me khnow. I know some that are more than happy to sell reef useful objects such as cameras.

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Guys, I see your point and I agree. However, who draws the line? I can't quit my job to monitor the board all day, and what is the difference between a camera and a stereo and a hard drive and a BBQ and....

As an example, i have a list of 57 things I can post right now for sale that aren't reef related, claiming that they would benefit my reef buddies. If only 9 others had similar lists, we now have roughly 600 posts for nothing to do with reefs and everyone starts with bump and "to the top" and the board gets to be unreadable. I guarantee you would start Q&A threads on "gee, how cam we stop the ruination of our board" posts. Imagine if every member just posted 1 thing for sale. Sure, not likely to happen, but what if it did? Who cleans the mess? You? Nope, me. And while I'm cleaning the mess, you guys are over at RC, because you really want to read about reefs, not garage sales.
Every time I log into the board, I pick the threads since last visit. Lately, at least 50% are items for sale, and only reef related. Think of what the board would look like if we allowed a free for all? If I have to start looking too hard for something to actually do with reefs, I'm gonna be surfing elsewhere. And sure, maybe that wouldn't happen to that level, but maybe it would, and then what?
We've decided as a board that we don't want to go there. And without sounding too much like a shithead, if you really need a reef board that sells cameras, and you know of one, I suggest you take your reef BBS activities there. They deserve the support of people whose ideas align with their board's philosophies.

Thanks for shopping, please come again.

trilinearmipmap
05-29-2005, 05:54 PM
IMO we should be able to trade non-reef stuff in order to get reef stuff.

For example I have laying around the house..

Items offered have been removed

Aquattro
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
IMO we should be able to trade non-reef stuff in order to get reef stuff.

but you don't have to manage the board, we do. So go sell your stuff in the paper, then trade cash for reef stuff. We do allow the trading of cash. Thanks.

titus
06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I think the Staff has made their points. This subject has been raised many times before and we had debated amont ourselves why and why not. In the end, we chose to not allow non-aquarium related goods. Please respect the policy.

Titus

Willow
06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
sorry but why would the sale items need to be monitored?

Zerandise
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
sorry but why would the sale items need to be monitored?

this is how i understand it. the sale items must be used for reef ONLY. no other practicle use for this item. If we were able to sell other items we would all go and find what ever crap we have sitting around the house and put it up for sale i.e. paper clips, empty coffee cans and other such items. we would do this to the point that we would flood the server with posts and drag down the server connection speed.

Since the user base is unable to monitor itself on this board unlike on others the only correct action is to enforce the rule of reef items ONLY. its really rather simple.

If we wish to give deals to reefers we just need to put an add in the buy & sell or the local paper. After much thought on how we could give reefers this deal i was able to come up with the answer. Just post your unreef related Items in the fish section as i am sure we all read them weekly. In this way you can sell those reef related items that dont hold water such as lighting timers, ball vaulves, cameras and table saws. As far as i know the buy & sell doesnt proff read where you list your item for sale.

I am pretty sure this topic has been kicked around long enough. We all now know that we can only sell reef items NOT reef related items.

titus
06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Hello,

Good post Zerandise.

Titus