PDA

View Full Version : ****For all those who got zoos from me,please read****

kuatto
05-28-2005, 05:19 PM
I have been getting lots of zoos in from all over and quarintine them all,including doing a fresh water dip for any zoo eating nudis(small,brown with lots of tiny frills ).I have spotted(and removed)2 adult nidibranches,that look like the zoo eaters.I'm in the process of treating all zoos with fresh water dip again of the next week.Looks like its only been on one small coloney,but can't chance it,have several hundred dollars in zoos :eek:
If you have received any zoos from my tank,please take 10 minutes and do a fresh water dip!If any doubt as to what you are looking for,there are several zoo eating nudi posts on reef central,under the zoo forms.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/dahuynh11/nudi.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/dlberlin/Debbies%20Reef/nudi.jpg

Murminator
05-28-2005, 05:57 PM
:eek:

kuatto
05-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Exactly!!not something you want when you have as many zoos as I do.I just dipped over have of the main tank of zoos and found nothing,but I will be dipping untill every colony and frag is dipped(100+ peices :eek: )
I haven't noticed any changes in the health of the zoos to indicate the nudis are killing them.Maybe I'll get lucky and they were only on the one coloney(which was new arrival).
By the way,the fresh water dip works,the nudi drops off in seconds once esposed to fresh water(give it a real good swish around to loosen them off)I haven't found any egg sacks yet(tiny white eggs formed in a small circle)had to use a large magnifying glass to see them.

rusty
05-28-2005, 11:45 PM
WHAT!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Funky_Fish14
05-29-2005, 12:41 AM
From my looking, I didnt see anything on any of the stuff I got. Also, from AI, one colony I got once had two on it, but I picked them off and never saw anymore eggs and have yet to see anything else so im pretty sure Jim's case is the same. It takes awhile for a couple nudis to get a large population going.

Chris

kuatto
05-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Been dipping all day and haven't found any more eggs or nudis,so here's hoping.... :grab:

Veng68
05-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Been dipping all day and haven't found any more eggs or nudis,so here's hoping.... :grab:

Just curious ....... what is your dipping procedure? What parameters for the fresh water dip. Any side effects the zoos show?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

kuatto
05-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Nothing too hard,just using treated tap water.Make sure to get the water ph and temp around the same as the tank and just place the zoos in and leave for several minutes.Give them a good swish around before taking them out of the fresh water.
The zoos show no signs of ill effect,they will close up for a bit,but once back in the tank,they will open again.Lugios dip is highly effective in killing the little buggers,but I haven't got any.

golden69_ca
05-29-2005, 06:20 AM
dont kill them u want thoes nudi's they only go after aptasia. i will take some off u if you want . if your looking for a zoo eater there is a circulare snail does not get big that eats zoo's i have come across a couple.

Jack
05-29-2005, 06:29 AM
No, those nudi's definatly eat zooanthids and it's nice that Kuatto let everyone know. An Iodine dip works well too without any visible harm to the zoo's, IME.

Get them while you can.

Veng68
05-29-2005, 07:04 AM
No, those nudi's definatly eat zooanthids and it's nice that Kuatto let everyone know. An Iodine dip works well too without any visible harm to the zoo's, IME.

Get them while you can.

What concentration of iodine would you use?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

golden69_ca
05-29-2005, 02:59 PM
i guess i better not take the articals in the coral mag for truth becouse they had a cool artical on these nudi's as the natural aptasia preditor and people over in germany where breading them . id still like a couple if any one has some :biggrin:

Funky_Fish14
05-31-2005, 05:42 AM
There are different types of nudibranches. The ones that eat aiptasias are Berghias(sp?). The ones that eat zoos are different, Lettuce Nudibranches eat algae, some other types eat sponges. Some are coldwater species.

Chris

Jack
05-31-2005, 05:49 AM
What concentration of iodine would you use?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

I do 5-10 drops of Lugol's per Liter of water depending on the sensitivity of the coral I'm dipping. Zoo's can be dipped for 10-20 min with the higher concentration without any major stress, IME.

Jack
05-31-2005, 05:59 AM
There are different types of nudibranches. The ones that eat aiptasias are Berghias(sp?). The ones that eat zoos are different, Lettuce Nudibranches eat algae, some other types eat sponges. Some are coldwater species.

Chris

Chris has it right...

Here's some info from Eric's personal adventure with them:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/e_borneman.html

kuatto
05-31-2005, 04:00 PM
I think the best thing we can to do is to do a dip "BEFORE" putting any new coral into our tanks.This is good for alot of nasty hitchhikers we don't want.A few minutes of work saves a lot of heart ache later.I've searched for days on the net for pics of the zoo eating nudi and they all come up the same,so there is no saving these guys,they are terminated on site :microwav:

medic_eva
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
killed 3 today, and 2 yesterday... man am i glad i checked the posts. been busy lately, haven't been watching my tank as closely. found 3 on the little frag i got from ya, and 2 on one from AI. yet, i haven't seen any in a month... weird... maybe i just didn't see them cuz they hatched recently or something. noooo idea. thanks for the warning, i don't think they are from you though. i had this problem too when i bought mine from AI, guess i didn't dip it well enough.

thanks!!!

eva

Funky_Fish14
05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
One thing, the Nudis are most likely from your AI colonies/frags because they get the wild shipments in. Like I said I got two from there.

Also to everyone, do NOT "sqash" the nudibranches, leave them full body.

Chris