PDA

View Full Version : An Electronic Question...

SuperFudge
05-27-2005, 02:49 AM
Hello All,

I have a large Commercial Type Heater, it has a remote Head Unit.

I can hear when the unit kicks on and off, but it has no indicator light to show me the element is in use. since it is digital, it looks the same on or off.

Am i able to install a light in there myself ? so when it powers up the Element, it could fire up an LED or something ?

What line(s) would i tap into ? and what type of bulb would i look for to do that ?

I just want to be able to see how often it is in use on the system and for how long.

Thanks, Marc.

mark
05-27-2005, 03:40 AM
If the heater's AC could use a neon bulb rather a LED (DC). If you have a meter, measure where you could tap in a indicator.

http://www.surplussales.com/Bulbs-Incan-Panel/BulbsNeon.html

Rikko
05-27-2005, 04:03 AM
You'd just need to wire your light inline with the leads going towards the heating coil.. Sounds easy, might be much messier in implementation.

reefer_11
05-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Marc,

Let me know when is a good time for you next week(except Wednesday) and I will come out with my meter as well as a few tools and LED's etc. and see what we can set up (as long as you supply the beer). It may be a simple add-on or it may need something like a relay that is tripped when the element turns on. I won't know until I can get inside it.

Personally I wouldn't wire anything inline as it could/will have an effect on the current draw of the circuit. If it takes it beyond it's design spec's or changes the load in a bad way it can have some repercussions you don't want. ;)

Cheers

Darren

Nemo
05-27-2005, 04:41 AM
I would not add it in line with the elements, the big reason is most cocommercial units are 220v or 240v, I would run it off of the thermostat, most have a spare contact you can use and then run it off of a relay.