PDA

View Full Version : missing zoos

danny zubot
05-26-2005, 10:40 PM
My friend asked me to find out what could be eating or killing his zoos. He has 2 false percs, 2 pygama cardinals, and 1 lawnmower blennie for fish in a 90 gallon that is other wise very healthy.
For inverts he has a fighting conch, several blue legged hermits, the usual cerith, nerite, tubons and tourbon snails etc. He noticed 1 rock with zoos on it die off, while other colonies lived with no consequence. Why?

Bob I
05-26-2005, 11:45 PM
I have had a ton of zoos in recent years. I have had the same thing happen to me, ie. entire colonies have died off while the rest continue to flourish. Some zoanthids grow at a prodigious rate, while others seem to languish. I have never been able to figure out why this happens. :sad:

Willow
05-27-2005, 01:35 AM
check for mucus slime, i had a colony slowly melt down do to some sort of bacterial infection. if your unsure its not a bad idea to give zoos a bath in some seachem reefdip. there are also zoo eating nudibranch's that you should be on the lookout for.

danny zubot
05-27-2005, 02:05 PM
I've heard of these zoo eating nudies, any links or pics? I'm not sure about the slime, I'll have him check.

Thanks

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-27-2005, 06:08 PM
sundial snails will eat zoo's try looking at the zoo's at night and see if you can find any snails eating them. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/MolluscPIX/Gastropods/gastro1.jpg