PDA

View Full Version : Tank mate(s?) for a Maroon clown in a 40g tank?

DanG
05-26-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm looking for ideas on what to put in my tank. There's one maroon who is about 2.5 inches long, 4 turbo snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 scarlet hermits and 4 blue hermits and 2 emerald crabs, one big, one small(the small one was a hitchhiker when I bought some green star polyps).

Any ideas on what to put in? I'd love a yellow tang, but the tank is only 36" long, and I have no upgrade plans for a couple of years. I'm not looking to overstock it, just add a small fish or 2.

Any recommendations?

danny zubot
05-26-2005, 03:22 PM
What size is the tank? Mine is 36 inches long, a 65 gallon and I have a small regal tang. There are many types of fish you could get inlcuding blennies, gobies, damsels, firefish, the list goes on. The best thing to do would be to research the ones you want. Try this site.
http://fins.actwin.com/species/

DanG
05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
The tank is 36x16x16. I was thinking maybe a pair of royal grammas.

AJ_77
05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Does the Maroon have an anemone? If so, I'd recommend something small and fast for a tankmate. :biggrin: Seriously.

Aside from territorial issues, the Maroon will grow enough to become your "one large fish." It will likely be dominant, esp being in there first. A Tang in that size tank - some people do it, but after seeing a couple of Tangs pace in my own 6-ft tank, I won't ever do it.

The biggest thing I would put in there now would be maybe a dwarf Angelfish.

YMMV, IME, etc...

:mrgreen:

DanG
05-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes, the clown is a lazy lazy fish. He usually won't stray much past a foot or so away from his GBTA.
Originally he was in with another maroon, but she proved way too agressive, so I returned her and for the last 2 months it's been just him.
I'm somewhat concerned about an angel as I don't want to rule out coral. There's the GBTA, a rock with some zoos and a rock with some green star polyps, but I was thinking of getting a head of frogspawn, some candy cane or maybe an open brain coral.