PDA

View Full Version : I need some plumbing help !

Jim Barry
05-23-2005, 10:13 PM
After setting up my 190 gallon tank about 6 weeks ago, I have been fighting plumbing leaks, microbubbles and noisy pumps.

I AM GIVING UP THE FIGHT!!!

I have purchased a much quieter pump, but I need to increase my plumbing from 1" to 1.5". My sump is in the basement and the tank is on the main floor.

I am looking to "hire" someone with good plumbing skills to replumb my tank. I am after a "zero tolerence" for microbubbles.

If you can help me, let me know when you are free. I would like to have it done this week

Jim

Jim Barry
05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Moderators...

Why was this thread moved??

I am looking for a plumber in CALGARY !!

It is no different than posting to have people help move your tank. I am looking for plumbing help

Please explain, or can you put this back to the Calgary forum.

Jim

:confused: :confused:

Aquattro
05-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Jim, the Calgary Club forum is for club activities or group purchases. This doesn't fall under either. This has been posted several times and shouldn't be a surprise. You need assistance with DIY stuff, and you did post above that you need someone in Calgary, so this is the right spot for your post.

Willow
05-24-2005, 01:16 AM
brad needed to move your post to fill his mod quota for the week.

Aquattro
05-24-2005, 01:17 AM
brad needed to move your post to fill his mod quota for the week.

You guys aren't supposed to know about that!!

BCWolfen
05-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Jim,

You probably already know this but you will have micro bubbles for the first while until your new pipes get a nice coating of slime on them. Obviouly you want as little as possible but you will have them for a bit. Drove me nuts for teh first 2 weeks after I plumbed my tank. Couldn't figure out why I was getting so many bubbles flowing over AND under the baffles in my sump through the fuge and back into the main tank. Now, even though my input section looks like a jacuzzi and almost seems to produce more skimate than my skimmer (lol) Once the water has passed through my fuge and the other baffles there are virtually no bubbles left.

Jim Barry
05-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback Gerald.

I think it is more a case of a poor plumbing job. I have created a venturi on a few joints because of bad seals. I am having trouble locating the problem and since I am going to be increasing to 1.5" pipes, I thought I would get someone who knows what they are doing to help me do it right this time.

Jim

AJ_77
05-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Did you try Albert? Seem to remember him offering help to somebody else with this type of problem...

Or maybe Jonathan has some spare time now! :lol:

SuperFudge
05-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello Jim,

I would love to help you but im a bit far away, best i can give is some advice:

Likely they are from an intake of one of your pumps.
There are a few ways you can check and correct this.

There should be a union on this intake, with a valve located on the opposite side of it.
If that is the case, soak a cloth in water and wrap the intake tightly and the first teflon seal.

Then check the outputs with your halides on, you should not see it spitting out bubbles anymore....until it sucks most of the water from the cloth out and takes air again.
If it did temporarily stop, shut the pump down and loosen the union and give the valve a turn, and retighten the union....
and repeat the test above.

If this doesnt fix it, re do the teflon portion of that intake...using 7 wraps of teflon, hand tighten, and 1 extra full turn with a pipe or strap wrench.

**If the pump you are using is one of the new sequence "reeflo" or "valueflo" series, only Handtighten ! as they come equipped with a "value impeller housing" :neutral:

If i can help further, pm me and we can try a few other possibilities.

Marc.