PDA

View Full Version : Reef Surgery

sumpfinfishe
05-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Well after talking with Anthony Calfo last weeekend I had come to the conclusion that I needed to tear down the entire reef before my small population of about 8 patches of Hyroid worms started taking over the SPS corals. I also sent Charles Delbeek a second opinion email regarding Hydroids and his reply was the same as Anthony's-Manualremoval :frown: Charles also said there are a few variety's of Nudi's that eat hydroids but he said getting the specfic one shipped in would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I thought it would be best to eradicate them before they got a serious foothold on more area's of my live rock. So at 10am this morning I started a full rip down of my entire reef. I had a spare 15gl (with heater and airstone) which I used to house all my corals and fish, then all the LR went into 5 different buckets depending on size and color. After all the rock was out I then had to cherry pick all the snails and crabs from the sandbed, after that I decided that I was going to reduce my sandbed from 2" down to 1". I used a small tupperware container to then scoop out about 10lbs of LS. Since there was nothing left except 1" of sand and a few more inches of water I decided to give the new sandbed a thorough clean by rinsing it and then quickly sipohoning out the dirty water.

I then began the teedious job of inspecting all the LR piece by piece with a a small screwdriver in hand. Before each piece was placed back into the tank I removed any patches of hydroids, button polyps, and algae. After about 2 hrs of carfully removing these tiny pests I was ready to rebuild the reef. After all the rock was in place, I started to glue new and old corals back onto my live rock, paying close attention to turkey baste any corals that were exposed to the air, as I only had 6" of water in the tank. After everything was glued or fitted back in place it was time to bring up the water level with 3 pails of water before I could begin to add the fish and inverts. I then let everything settle down before making some final adjustments for the night. Here are a few pics of the day, and the paper towel that I used for the nasty's was covered completly by the time I was done.

Moral of this story: never asume anything, a year ago I thought these nasty little worms were just a small variety of feather dusters-if I had only done the research that day :exclaim: :rolleyes:

I did however get to aquascape for more flow which allowed me to add a second MX1200, so now my fish can all go whitewater rafting :mrgreen:

http://members.shaw.ca/sumpfinfishe/images/remove.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/sumpfinfishe/images/dayfrom.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/sumpfinfishe/images/5-22-5c.jpg

Nemo
05-23-2005, 05:26 AM
sorry to hear that. That sounds like far too much work

christyf5
05-23-2005, 05:33 AM
Sounds like my day a couple of weeks ago :razz:

Looks good but your lights are too blue :razz:

Christy :)

vanreefer
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
please keep us (me) updated on how everything settles in, as I am going to do a similar thing next week... not for hydroids... but to change my stand and add a sump... plus I have a wicked cyano problem... and figure cleaning all the rock and thoroughly cleaning the sand bed should help.

I am just worried about a nitrate or ammonia spike.

It sounds like you did this all in one day :eek: ... do you think cleaning the sand bed then letting it sit for a day would be better or worse for the ammonia/ nitrate issue?... would it be better to clean the sandbed more than once, ie just keep doing it till the water was clear?

I am planning to move everything (rock, inverts and coral) into a 54 gal (which will eventually become my sump) while I clean the sandbed, plumb the return, and change the stand... so time isnt really an issue.
Whoa long post :eek:
Thanks for your opinions

hockey nut
05-23-2005, 09:12 AM
WOW :eek:

Tank looks no worse for wear.

You better come over and have a beer after all that work!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Talk to you soon

Callum

Beverly
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Rich,

Do you happen to have pics of your hydroid worms? I'd like to see what they look like in case they appear in my tanks.

Doug
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Sheez, big job Rich. And some heavy weight advice. :eek:

whaase
05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I was thinking the same.

Walter

Rich,

Do you happen to have pics of your hydroid worms? I'd like to see what they look like in case they appear in my tanks.

marie
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Please tell me they didn't look like this :frown:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/2202006_0103Image0041-med.JPG

sumpfinfishe
05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Ouch, I hate to say this Marie but those look like the little buggers :evil:
The ones in my tank were a little browner in color but hydroids just the same.
They can give off a powerful sting, which eventually can kill sps
corals. I had two areas of rock where the hydroids were actually
matting underneath two sps bases that were about 4 inches in diameter.
I was advised to remove them if the growth patches were small and confinned,
if they are spread throughout the entire tank I would
probably take a more drastic approach and get new rock :eek:

http://members.shaw.ca/sumpfinfishe//images/brownworms.jpg

marie
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Aaargh, I removed that particular colony and a few others but these guys are spread all over my tank and new rock is out of the question, money wise, at the moment.

sumpfinfishe
05-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Marie, there are other options too, you can burn them with boiling water or kalkwasser using a needle, or I have heard that covering them with epoxy has worked too. You could even rig up a siphon line/scraper and try to remove them while in the tank. I was just wanting them out as quickly as possible :smile:

Beverly
05-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the pics, Marie and Rich. Will have a thorough look through my tanks for them :eek:

Funky_Fish14
05-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Wow Rich, sorry to hear about all the hassle that caused you! Glad you were able to eliminate the problem! Also thanks for the pics I think I had a small colony of those in a crack of LR. It looks dead though.

BTW the new looks is great! And I love your birdsnest! It looks just like mine but mine is only about 1.5" lol!

Chris

sumpfinfishe
05-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks Chris, I'm pretty happy with the new look too :biggrin:

Speaking of birdsnest, I woke up this morning and about 85%of my melon sized colony had RTNed :cry: After talking with Jack today, it made sence that throughout yesterday and last night the coral probly got chocked out by all the mucus of everything. I still have a small frag of about 3 branches left so hopefully it will grow it back. So I guess the tear down wasn't 100% perfect, just wish this had happened to a fresh piece, instead of wiping out one of my oldest corals.

dyereefer
05-27-2005, 10:04 PM
I had a severe problem with myrionema hydroids in my 90 my
gallon I had to remove all lps and crabs and shrimp .
I then proceeded to treat the tank with panacur and it has been 3 months and I have had no return of those evil things.

props
05-29-2005, 07:30 AM
heres some of mine
http://members.shaw.ca/jcaramat/newpics/9.jpg

Murminator
05-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Please tell me they didn't look like this :frown:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/2202006_0103Image0041-med.JPG

AHHHHHHHH........I got one of these but he will only open at night when the lights are off and he is bright green and really really fine hairs I know which hole he lives in I'll burn him with a lighter tonight :evil: