PDA

View Full Version : powerheads

fishguyxd
05-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Just wondering what all are using for powerheads (maxijet ,powersweep, hagan or other) ??

what are the pro's and cons ?

mr_alberta
05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi Al,

When I did use powerheads, I used the Hagen ones. Actually, I'm using a Hagen 802 as my return pump right now :eek:

From my experience with them, they work like a charm with no problems. Another good brand of powerheads is the Maxi-Jet. Though the one one my Kalk reactor is making an aweful rattleing sound now :frown:

BCOrchidGuy
05-22-2005, 05:05 PM
I've used Hagen, Rio and Maxi Jet, never had an issue with any of them I used a power sweep and it worked well but needed to be cleaned OFTEN. The sweep mechanism would get stuck at least once a week and would need cleaning, rinsing etc...

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I've used Hagen & a Rio 1400. Never had a problem with either brand but all were used just as PH & not under pressure. I've now switched to Tunze & Seio streams, which are waaaaaaaay better. :biggrin:

JME,

Anthony

Beverly
05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
We use various sized Hagen powerheads in our tanks ever since we began reefkeeping. Because we don't have skimmers on our current three tanks, we also have prefilters filled with foam on each powerhead for extra crud removal. And we remove tons of crud from the foams weekly :eek:

Because I'm such a clean freak, each week we remove all the powerheads during water changes, break them down and clean the foams and powerhead parts in changewater. I don't know if they are easy to break down, clean then put back together because I've been doing it for so long, or if they are actually easy to break down and put back together :razz:

Anyway, over the last month, we've been pressed for time on our normal tank cleaning day, so we only removed the prefilter and cleaned the cruddy foams. Today, after a month without cleaning the entire powerheads, I broke them all down as usual, but was disgusted at how dirty the parts had become :eek: Cleaning took twice as long. The impeller shafts were extremely dirty, which I believe impairs the performance of any powerhead, Hagen or not.

Richer
05-22-2005, 11:03 PM
In the past, I've used mainly Hagen powerheads... nowadays its mostly Maxi-Jets. I've never had problems with neither brand. In fact, I'm still using a 402 for water mixing now... if I remember right, this powerhead came from my other who had it in his tank. So that makes the powerhead about 10 years old on its original impeller. That Maxi-jets I got of from my girlfriend's father... they're so old that the model numbers aren't made anymore. They are still working like a charm on their original impellers. :razz:

-Rich

Dez
05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Hi Al,

Another good brand of powerheads is the Maxi-Jet. Though the one one my Kalk reactor is making an aweful rattleing sound now :frown:

It's the kalk that does that to the powerheads. If you don't have your powerhead high enough, or if there is too much kalk, then the kalk eats away the impeller.

Des

fishguyxd
05-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks to all for responding.
I was going to get another one or two. I currently use maxijet but was not sure on the hagens but thanks for all the feed back.

signed Al
:smile:

vanreefer
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
I like the seio's I have 2 620's in my 77 with 2 mj 1200's... and for the extra $15 bucks the flow is way better... more of a cone shaped flow instead of a jet. I did have a problem getting one to start after I turned it off... just plugged/unplugged a couple of times and it started again... next time I'll take it it back (always save your boxes kids :wink:
a good seio= better deal
JME

Edmonton Eskimo
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
has anyone tried those new hydor powerheads that big als has. I was checking them out the other day apparently they are a new product.

fishguyxd
05-24-2005, 02:44 AM
I don't know about that(maybe new to them) I think those have been around for a while I seen them at wholesale pet supply by mayfield rd alongtime ago and they are still stocking them a couple weeks ago.

danny zubot
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Stay away from RIO pumps. I used a RIO 20hf for my return and it seized after only a year. Garbage! I use Mag drive pumps for my skimmer and return now and maxi jet 1200s in tank for flow. Best bang for your buck.