PDA

View Full Version : Peristaltic pumps

whaase
05-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I have my tank on my main level, I want to have my FW container downstairs. Will a peristaltic pump draw from 8' or so? Is there such a pump that will? I do have a closet behind my tank, but the container would be the same level (if not higher) than my sump and I'm afraid that when the pump shuts off, the water keep going. I don't want, nor do I have the space for something to sit on top of my topper. Any ideas/comments?

Thanks, Walter

Doug
05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Walter, I believe a Reef Filler can be placed up to 200ft. away from ones tank. They run around $299 at Mops.

Or is you wish to use something like a Tunze Osmolator. I believe several members here use them. Great top off device. The probes will go in your sump, however the top off hose is best in your tank. That prevents any back siphon.

My friends is set up as such in his 180. The probes are in his 100g sump and the kalk/top off feed hose is in the overflow.

Nemo
05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Pumps do better pushing long distances, rather than trying to suck, and if you are worried about push back use a check valve. You can order a small pvc check valve from any plumbing whole saler