PDA

View Full Version : FS Sea Hare - Lower mainland

j83
05-21-2005, 11:56 PM
I just bought a sea hare thinking it could take care of my hair algae - I heard they were great but didn't do much research, my fault yes I know. I asked the guy at the store every question I could think of (and this store has been reliable in the past - it's J and L) including does it release a dye that can kill others - his answer was no. I got home (now) and quickly ran a search on them - it says they can release a purple toxic dye and shouldn't be placed with any angels of any sort (I have two, flame and multi-barred,in my tank). The sea hare is still in the bag floating at the top of my tank - does anyone in the lower mainland want it? 5 bucks? I just don't want it to die.

LMK . . .

Jay

Willow
05-22-2005, 12:07 AM
i wouldnt sweat it much, they are nocturnal mostly and you have to get them pretty rilled up before they release. mine was stuck over the seio intake for awhile and that didnt trigger the dye.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-22-2005, 12:13 AM
In the book Marnie Invertebrates it says that the dye has been shown to be non toxic..

ref leppard
05-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Off the topic....how long did you the multibarr angel for ,what does it eat &does it hide a lot.If the sea hare don't have enough to eat ,give it caulerpa or nori

j83
05-23-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks for all your help on the 'hare'!

I have since put it in the tank and so far so good - this guy is a real workhorse! My algae is going going and going - it's great!

The multi-barred angel - I have had him for about a month and it didn't eat anything for about two weeks but still looked healthy, it has since taken up eating mysis, but thats it . . . hasn't touched any corals (yet - knock on wood) however it does hide alot compared to my flame which is out and about all of the time. . .

Jay