PDA

View Full Version : Move that almost ending it all

Jason McK
05-20-2005, 07:09 PM
As many of you know I moved on the week end. So I had a 75G and a 45G to move. The 75G was an SPS and clam tank and the 45G was home to a few BTAs and a breeding pair of Clowns

Well, every SPS in the tank has RTNed and not salvageable I was able to get my LPS and Clams to Willows tank.
My amazing Powder Brown died in the rubbermaid bin do to my air stone falling out of the bucket over night. All fish but 3 chromis and a mandarin were lost.
My BTAs split during the move so I'm nursing 5 instead of 3.

So the tanks are both up and running with Live rock only the 75G has a 3' sand bed (the cause of the RTN I think) and I went bare bottom on the 45G. I have 2 nice Caps left and they are still in rubbermade bins. Daily water changes and ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test are being performed and I will begin the rebuild.

It's been a rough move. We have to put our 14 year old cat down on Thursday (My wife rescued the cat as a stray that was hit by a car), 2 Total tanks wiped out and we moved to a new strange home.
Not to mention the only Canreef contact I've had is a sneak peak while at work. (will get the home computer up tonight)

I will eventually restock the 75G but I'm going to ensure I only put frags in the tank. No Mother colonies from LFS that is what the old tank was and there is nothing like seeing the growth from a tiny SPS frag into a fragable colony.

So I've been a little stressed and a lot sad but I feel the crash was 100% my stupidity and would encourage anyone to deal with a DSB as a time bomb waiting to go off if you move get new sand!!!

On a positive note I want to thank John (willow) for all his help. He supplied the truck and the muscles, to move everything and has saved my Frogspawn, Hammer, and 2 Crosia clams

Jason AKA Tank Killer

Delphinus
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Very sorry to hear of your losses, and sorry about your cat. I can't imagine what heartache you must be going through.

With all the recent horror stories involving moves (including my own from a year ago), I know I will never again move a tank. Moving houses for me from now on, means the tanks get torn down and all animals sold or temporarily housed in someone else's setup. It's too much to deal with on top of what is already too much to deal with.

Anyhow, I'm very sorry for your losses, having been there myself, I know it's not easy to take.

props
05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
awww nuts!!!!! truly sorry to hear you losses dude.. let me know when your ready to restock the tank. i'll have frags ready for you then..

Jason McK
05-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks Guys, It will be a slow process back

Jesse I'll take you up on that for sure

Jason

christyf5
05-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Oh man. That totally sucks. As if moving isn't nightmare enough :confused:

Sorry for your losses. I wish I could help :neutral:

Christy :)

Jason McK
05-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Here is a before pic
http://www.3reef.com/photos/data/500/10-11-04Full_tank_.JPG

Jason McK
05-21-2005, 03:27 AM
After, I haven't yet removed the last two CAPs

http://www.3reef.com/photos/data/500/After.JPG

BCOrchidGuy
05-21-2005, 03:33 AM
So sorry Jason, that sucks.

Doug

sumpfinfishe
05-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Ouch :eek: sorry to hear that Jason, that really blows :sad:

Well I'm only 2 minutes from Jesse's so you can stop in here for a few frags too,
I will also save you some baby buds of my latest round of frogspawn :smile:

BCWolfen
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Jason,

That really hurts. The after pic looks so desolate compared to the before.

Heres hopeing for a quick rebound.

I'm over in Van next weekend but don't have much to offer other than some softies.

Yellow polyps, Xenia, Button polyps, Purple mushroom, Green stripe mushroom, Brown star polyp.

LMK if you want anything and I'll frag one for ya.

I'll be hitting J&L's on Sat the 28th and Zer's on the 29th so if your interested in anything we can hook up on one of those dates.

Gerald

rusty
05-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I feel your pain buddy. I lost more than half my coral the last time I moved tanks around. Its sucks. Good luck with the new set up though.

Willow
05-21-2005, 06:05 PM
jason i know it's not much of a consolation but when i left my reef behind when i moved it gave me a chance to reflect on all the things that i did and didn't like about my setup and stocking choices. in some ways it was comforting that i had some hard choices made for me and i got a fresh start to change lots of stuff i was beginning to really hate about my setup. on a positive note you still have 2 beautiful frogspawn colonies (:redface:) , a huge hammer, a killer piece of cap and 2 nice crosia's to start to form your new setup around. the worst part of this all could have been you giving up and chucking in the towel and im glad you didn't. you will have a bigger and better display this time next year.