PDA

View Full Version : WH7 and NO fluorescents

BCOrchidGuy
05-20-2005, 05:24 PM
If I wire up a WH7 with two NO fluorescents will the WH automatically OD the NO's or will it drive them at their normal output. If they will automatically OD them, how would another ballast compare that would OD the NO's to 60 watts each.. so the ballast would run 120 watts rather than 220 watts. How much difference in light would I see between a 10,000k VHO and an overdriven (from 40 watts to 60 watts)10,000k NO??? Input, thoughts, idea's...

Doug

Rikko
05-20-2005, 06:31 PM
The WH7 provides 4 output leads capable of providing 54W each. Each lead is load sensing, so if a bulb draws 9W, it will only provide it the 9W it needs. Put two of the output leads on a single bulb and both will sense that the bulb needs 9W and it will provide 18W - 2x OD (though not exactly a 200% increase in light output).
I've read that the Icecap ballasts are able to OD bulbs "better" (There was one paper where they overdrove a T5 bulb with an Icecap and got the same light output as a metal halide. I've forgotten what their definition of "light output" was but it was interesting to see), but I'm happy with my Workhorse 7s.

I expect overdriving probably works better for slimmer bulbs.. I tried 2x and 3x overdriving with some T12 bulbs I had and didn't think the output increase was appreciable at all.. They got a whole lot hotter, but the added light was piddling.

Invigor
05-21-2005, 02:51 AM
I run 2 power leads off my WH7 to a NO T10 hagen actinic. It burns brighter than it did on my glomat ballast.

BCOrchidGuy
05-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Interesting, thanks I appreciate the input.

Doug